Pentium G3258 and 4790k overclocking

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Pentium G3258 and 4790k overclocking

Post by brentsg »

I haven't over-clocked anything in years.

When you guys are pushing the new Pentium to 4.8, are you simply changing the multiplier, or are you manipulating power parameters and such as well?

Thanks
Last edited by brentsg on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pentium G3258 overclocking

Post by Apoptosis »

It really depends on the board... On the ASUS Z97-A you can leave everything on auto and just raise the multipler to x48 and that is it. I of course worked my way up from 44 to 48 in x1 multiplier increments as every chip is difference. Some of the really good chips should be able to do 4.5GHz or higher with just 1.3V. My chip needs water cooling with 1.48V to get 4.8GHz stable. It's rock solid, but I'm not going to leave it there if I ever do end up using the chip. Right now it's in the box and possibly headed to a friend.

I wouldn't go over 1.5V on the core with water cooling... 1.3V should be the safe max with aftermarket air cooling. Just be sure to monitor temperatures.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
brentsg
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Pentium G3258 and 4790k overclocking

Post by brentsg »

Thread title tweaked.

What's the safe voltage for 4790k assuming temps are under control? I need to spend more time with it, but I used the ASUS auto tool as a baseline and it set for 1.35V. Temps seem fine at 4.7GHz.