OC capability - Intel Core i5 4690K & Biostar Hi-Fi Z97WE

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
windwithme
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

OC capability - Intel Core i5 4690K & Biostar Hi-Fi Z97WE

Post by windwithme »

Earlier this year, Intel released a new generation of high-level platform,
using the same pin LGA 1150 chipset name to raise to nine series, and the highest level Z97 is as the current each MB brand's main product.
The CPU followed Haswell Refresh version of the chipset launched by Haswell architecture and the CPU looks like seemingly small change,
which may be doing to prepare for the second half of Haswell-E.
Otherwise Extreme positioning of LGA 2011 CPU will be slower one generation than higher-level LGA 1150 structure,
with the feeling of a little strange when matching, but also to indirectly make LGA 2011 market more narrow.
The MB new R & D is very slowly, and it is expected that the future platform for Intel dual consumption can catch the latest architecture, allowing the Intel Extreme platform more competitive.

Back to one of these dual protagonists in this test is BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z97WE which carton packaging is changed to black, red and yellow color-based, and flagship Hi-Fi design is quite conspicuous.
Personal recommendations are further to reduce the number of board carton volume, and you can increase exquisite sense and can also reduce some freight.

For another protagonist Intel Core i5-4690K in the architecture of code-named Devil's Canyon Haswell Refresh,
with K behind the code for the highest level version of Core i5, it has the adjustment function of the multiplier.
4690K total clock is 3.5GHz, to support Turbo Boost Technology, up to 3.90GHz performance.

Physical 4 Cores is four threads, referred 4C4T, and built-in HD Graphics 4600 GPU which is as 22nm process as Ivy Bridge,
with the power higher than 88W, and 6MB of total L3 Cache.

The Overview of the Back
The left for the Haswell Refresh architecture Core i5-4690K
The right for the Haswell architecture Core i5-4670K

In addition, different Revision can be seen from the back, and the cooling material has been changed according to information on the Internet,
The following will do detailed testing, so users can better understand the performance of Devil's Canyon.

Not as in the past with black and blue color, this back Hi-Fi Z97WE two color instead of black and yellow
Size is 30.5cm x 24.4cm, general ATX common specifications

Most PCI-E and DDR3 DIMM sockets using yellow appearance
Mosfet area with Z97 chipset cooling module is the use of golden yellow, it seems the overall appearance is good

Included in the English manual, driver software CD, IO tailgate, black SATA cables and Hi-Fi Description Paper

The left bottom of Motherboard
2 X PCI-E X16 3.0, the highest support for AMD CrossFireX technology, bandwidth of X8 + X8
2 X PCI-E X1 2.0
2 X PCI
Dual-network chip is Realtek RTL8111G, supporting dual network Teaming Technology
Sound chip is Realtek ALC892, up to 8-channel Blu-ray Audio, equipped BIOSTAR Hi-Fi technology

The right bottom of motherboard
6 X Black SATA, Z97 chipset provided, SATA3 specifications
The above can be mixed build RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10, the highest performance decided in accordance with SATA devices

The right upper of Motherboard
4 X DIMM DDR3, supporting DDR3 1066 ~ 1600/1866 ~ 2800 (OC)
DDR3 capacity can support up to 32GB, supporting Extreme Memory Profile technology
The left Black is for the front USB 3.0, and the below is 24-PIN power input
windwithme
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: OC capability - Intel Core i5 4690K & Biostar Hi-Fi Z97W

Post by windwithme »

The left upper of Motherboard
Both sides of the CPU power has strengthened passive cooling module
Z97WE is designed for 10 phase power , the top is for the power input for 8PIN

IO
1 X PS / 2 keyboard
1 X D-Sub / DVI-D / HDMI
2 X USB 2.0 (Black)
4 X USB 3.0 (blue)
2 X RJ-45 network hole
6 X Audio sound jack

The heat sink shape and design of Z97WE in Z97 chipset are quite nice

For M.2 new specifications with a lot of exposure in the next generation Z97 of the board area, its advantage is the maximum bandwidth can reach up to 1000 MB / s.
PCI-Express M.2 is also much higher than SATA3's current maximum bandwidth of 600 MB / s.
M.2's drawback is that the price will be relatively high, which will take up PCI-E bandwidth,
and if there is only one device, Raid can not be done. As for in the future what position for M.2 SSD to play in the market, let the consumer to make a decision!

Two kinds of language available in English and Simplified Chinese can be switched, and in the figure are many hardware Advanced Options pages.

CPU adjustment efficiency for the home page
Fix the multiplier on 45 4690K, which is 4500M
Then close the CPU C stats energy-saving technology, and the below is the built-in GPU's clock and Options.

DDR3 uses CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 2800C11.
After opening XMP technology, you can easily achieve a stable high-performance DDR3 2800.

The lower half of the page is for more advanced DRAM Options.

Voltage page
The CPU Apaptive Voltage Target designated as 1.23V.
After providing stable voltage 4.5GHz, CPU voltage becomes 1.248V on the left to display.

The bottom of the voltage page is for DRAM voltage because of opening XMP automatic ultra frequency technology
DDR3 is automatically set in 2800 CL11, DRAM voltage of 1.65V, and the left detected as 1.668V.
windwithme
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by windwithme »

Archiving and leaving the page
The top is the BIOS setup options, the central is for selecting the hardware boot option, and the below is for the user to set the archive feature.

BIOSTAUEFI BIOS offers a wealth of options which are quite sufficient for the general setting or energy adjustment efficiency.
There are no built-in features with too many fancy, and no high-resolution pictures or large files of BIOS Figures.
For BIOSTAR UEFI BIOS, the response at boot set speed is very quickly, which can be considered as one of the advantages.
These are to set up the 4690K with adjustment multiple frequency and voltage ultra frequency, making CPU and DDR3 set for 4500 / 2800MHz.

For software, there are SmartSpeedLAN, appearing to be with the use of dual network chip.
Four automatic modes such as games, streaming, and browser are available.

Click into the applicationon on the left to monitor the program status opened in use currently.

On the advanced page you can enter the desired network speed, which is limited by the maximum download or upload function.
On the below there are also two functions to accelerate the reaction time and without delay of TCP, providind the use of closing or opening.

Smart EAR GUI

Hi-Fi Zone
Sound chip and associated capacitance are with gold lines around them, making the separatio of digital / analog, which can reduce EMI Nosie.
Non-Polarized Electrolysis Electric audio capacitors
Metal oxide resistors of metal-oxide film resistors, and then equipped with front headphone to expand audio chip, using a lot of sound-level design.
Just above Sound Chip, a metal shield printed with BIOSTAR Logo will glow red when in the power.

The devices for the actual listening equipped with entry for USHER S-520 stereo amplifier with Mic.
LF - drums still acceptable, bass do not go too heavy feeling If the details more clear, it is better.
IF - In songs or videos, vocal performance is clear, and a solid sense of sound is also quite good presentation.
HF - some music and sound details have a good ductility, and not too sharp condition occurs.

With Z97WE main materials used in Hi-Fi, sound quality is even better than the normal built-in Realtek sound chip of MB.
Perhaps many people feel Realtek audio performance is moderate, but the sound quality performance in the acquired materials and design also take up a very important part.
Unfortunately, this did not haze supports like before by Creative THX software or Samrt Ear 3D software
Otherwise, the sound field or low-frequency performance will further improve, and games or movies will have a significant environmental benefit.

Testing platform
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
MB: BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z97WE
DRAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2800C11
VGA: SAPPHIRE Raden HD 6970 CrossFire
SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB
POWER: ANTEC High Current Pro 850W
Cooler: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

CPU 100 X 45 => 4523MHz 1.230V
DDR3 2814 CL11 14-14-35 2T 1.650V

Nuclearus Multi Core => 29222
Fritz Chess Benchmark => 29.97/14387

CrystalMark 2004R3 => 425599

CINEBENCH R11.5
CPU => 7.65 pts
CPU(Single Core) => 1.96 pts
windwithme
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by windwithme »

CINEBENCH R15
CPU => 679 cb
CPU(Single Core) => 176 cb

FRYRENDER
Running Time => 5m 28s
x264 FHD Benchmark => 25.6

PCMARK7 - 5208

These are 4690K stable performance capabilities of Intel code-named Devil's Canyon in the air-cooled ultra frequency.
Using mid-level tower-type cooler, and ultra frequency to 4.5GHz can pass by the above various heavyweight test software.
If using a high-order air-cooled or water-cooled radiator, you will have the opportunity to achieve more stable ultra frequency environment 4.6GHz
If for the only limit to pursue the case, that is, into the desktop stroll, ultra frequency to 4.7Ghz or more is not a problem.
Intel Core i5-4690K ultra frequency ability should be even better than the majority of 4670K, but still have to follow the constitution and the radiator.

DRAM Bandwidth Test
ADIA64 Memory Read - 34232 MB/s
Sandra Memory Bandwidth - 31461 MB/s

DDR3 bandwidth performance and ultra frequency ability is still the architectural advantages of this generation Intel Haswell.
The last generation Ivy Bridge architecture enables stable operation of only about 2666 to about 2400.
With the Haswell Refresh platform, you can also have high bandwidth like the last generation.
DDR3 ultra frequency ability with physique if strong enough, you have a great opportunity to overclock to 2800 to 3000.
Meanwhile pulse bandwidth DDR3 LGA 1155 platform is also much higher than about 13 to 27%.
Whether Haswell or Haswell Refresh is better in DDR3 table, if you want to pursue higher clock or bandwidth performance,
you may have to wait until next year a new platform for the next generation DDR4

Temperature performance (temperature about 30 degrees)
4670K operates IntelBurn Test to allow CPU to full speed operation time - 75 to 86

4790K operates IntelBurn Test to allow CPU to full speed operation time - 68~76

Rumored on the Internet earlier the new codes in Devil's Canyon CPU cooling material aspects have made changes
These two 4670K and 4690K above full test pattern appears telling the truth.
4690K 4670K minimum temperature lower than 7 degrees, the maximum temperature is low.
About 10 degrees
For those who prefer a lower temperature or extreme overclocking users, it will be profitable.

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z97WE
Advantages
1 price a little higher than the entry Z97, , specifications of materials are close to the other brands of Z97 MB on the market
2 In addition to audio capacitors, all are using solid capacitors, with built-in Power / Reset buttons and debug LED lights
3 With good visual sense of the new UEFI interface, boot and set are very quick.
4 With built-in audio using better nonpolarized capacitors, headset also has exclusive Amplifier
5 major power reached 10, most of only 4 to 6 powered in this price Z97 design
6.Dual GbE network chip, supports Teaming technology, and the highest network bandwidth is up to 2G

Disadvantages
1 At present, Taiwan has not yet BIOSTAR sales channels
2 built-in audio hole is better to use gold-plated material
3 If we can support SLI technology, that will contribute to the effectiveness of Gaming Environment

Performance ratio ★★★★★★★★ ☆☆ 80/100
Material than ★★★★★★★★ ☆☆ 82/100
Specifications than ★★★★★★★★ ☆☆ 82/100
Appearance than ★★★★★★★★ ☆☆ 83/100
Cost ★★★★★★★★★ ☆ 86/100

We experienced one of Intel's two Devil's Canyon CPU which is Core i5-4690K.
It has a satisfactory performance in temperature, and then in the future we will use more higher-level radiator to test the limit for the higher Devil's
This time for Canyon, Intel also introduced the new product Logo, it looks nice and with very distinctive features.
I think consumers should be very interested. with Intel 20 anniversary's Pentium G3258 CPU with no locked frequency.
I remember in 2010, I madel air-cooled ultra frequency of the Core i5-661 2C4T to 5G

I hope Inte Pentium G3258 will have better performance in windwithme's ulta frequency tests in the future !
BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z97WE's price in the United States is about 125 dollars, converted into NT about 3700 yuan.
And WE is the abbreviation for Wonderful
Enhanced, which looks pretty good in one-sided meaning
But if changing it into the abbreviation WWE World League, I think consumers will be even more impressive.
In this price and specifications, Hi-Fi Z97WE really quite values, and performance and materials are all above average

But it is better that another version of the Z97 version can be launched using gold-plated audio jack, to support Samrt Ear 3D software.
And it can support dual SLI technology, or equipped with ALC 1150 sound chip, to reduce 5-phase power and supply network with a single chip.. .
The price can be reduce in less 150 US dollars, That will be good. And it also provides another affordable choices with high specifications.
Finally, i still hope to launch Gaming MB BIOSTAR for market competition like other MB brands :)

This review is also in my blog. WIND3C, any comments are welcome.