i5-2500 or i5-2500s?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

i5-2500 or i5-2500s?

Post by Kaos Kid »

I have an HP PC that shows compatibility with skt 1155 cpus up to and including i5-2500/i5-2500s/i5-2500t/i7-2600/i7-2600s. I see that the S series cpus have lower clock at idle but go up to 3.7ghz for the i5-2500s to 3.8ghz for the i7-2600s under load? Would it be worth it to go for an s series for lower temps but higher clock under load? I know this is 5 year old tech but it is still an upgrade from the general purpose rig (AMD B55 unlocked to 4 cores) and since I was given the PC I think that it could be a good upgrade bang for the buck. Whatcha think?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Re: i5-2500 or i5-2500s?

Post by KnightRid »

Personal opinion - S series if for low end sporadic use only

Basically the same chip but the S runs at a lower ghz/power to start but I do believe they go to the same under turbo boost. That is why I said the above. Lower power and slower speed would be great for a low end system that you dont want to game/edit video/etc on.

If you want to overclock, you would need the K of course.

So if you want a basic computer just snag the cheapest. If you want to game or video edit or anything cpu intensive I would skip the S series
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah, not looking to OC or I would get a mobo that does so, this is just going to be a general purpose that I share with my wife. Since it is a complete PC with Win7 COA I thought it would be a good candidate for that. It currently has an i3-2100 that is actually pretty snappy with the SSD I put in, but I figure if I am going to keep it I may as well make it fast enough to be better than the B55x4, I'll move that one down to HTPC duty and sell the ASROCK with Rana x3 combo that is in the HTPC now.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Always fun to upgrade and move something to another location :)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

After looking at performance tests, I decided to get the i5-2500K anyway. That way if I ever luck across a good used z77 board I can play with OC'ing it on that, but otherwise should give me good performance in the H61 chipset HP PC as a general rig. I think I got pretty lucky and was actually browsing Ebay when someone listed a 2500K for only $95 shipped. Considering I got the Win7 PC that it is going in for free, a less than $100 investment in the processor and a ~$40 120GB SSD makes this PC viable again. I'm only about 5 years behind the cutting edge lol
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Update

Post by Kaos Kid »

Well, H-E-Double Hockey Sticks! Although I had found some indications that others got the 2500K to work on the IPISB-CU Carmel2 motherboard (AKA Pegatron 2AC2), it isn't working on mine. I get the "unsupported CPU" bios message, then it shuts down. I can't find an updated bios for it so this was a wasted effort. Now I have to find someone with an i5-2500 or i7-2600 that would like to swap for it. I should have known better due to an OEM bios being involved, but stupid me had to hear only what he wanted to hear. D'oh.