How much electricity does a 50in Plasma use?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

How much electricity does a 50in Plasma use?

Post by Davo26 »

Per year?
Are there any figures on this?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How much electricity does a 50in Plasma use?

Post by DMB2000uk »

Depends what model it is.

If you have it, it might tell you on the back on the little sticker where it shows you the voltage and amps etc.
If it's not there, or you don't have it then you should try looking it up on the manufacturers website.
If neither of the above come through, you can do a 'worst case scenario' and take the input voltage, times it by the current to get rough watts used (it will probably be less than this figure in normal use, as I think the AMPs rating is its peak).

Then to calculate the cost of said watts, work out how many hours a day it is likely to be on for, then times that by the wattage.
Divide that figure by 1000 to get it into killowatts.
Then times that killowatt hour figure you just calculated by the price per killowatt hour you get charged for electricity.
This is how much it will cost to run per day (roughly).

Then times that by the number of days in a year you will be watching it (rough guess, every day, so *365) to work out how much electric it uses in a year.

Hope it helps, if you get stuck with the maths, then dump the raw figures here and I'll work it out for you (or cheat and use this kwh calculator.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

From one of the newer Panasonic ones -

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elec ... 0000005702

690 watts - WOW

65" uses 795 watts

Why the hell would you buy a plasma?

Mike

Comparison - 52" LCD on sony's website uses 320watts

samsung 50" DLP on buy.coms site uses 230watts

I still think DLP or LCOS is the best out there - Plasmas are WAY too expensive and burn out/in and lcd displays are just plain out of reach for most people in the bigger sizes.

Oh well, everyone was conned into thinking plasmas are gods gifts to men, so each to their own ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

My 42" plasma uses like 440W, but newer plasma's are supposed to be getting better...
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Davo26 »

Dan....reading your post made my head, neck and back hurt, LOL.
I realize that plasma's peak usage or max wattage is higher than LCD, but my understanding is that 720p 42inch plas vs 42inch LCD use a similar amount of power per a given unit of time.....I have noticed that as the size and pixels increase, the peak power figure rises steeply, but what I'm curious about is whether anyone can say roughly how much extra electricity their 42-50in plasma uses per week based on their own rough estimates?

I know that my quaterly electricity bill is approx $200, so if I bought a 50in, then I could make assumptions based on the difference on the next bill, however, I'm simply uncertain as to the cost, and I'm worried as the TV will be used between a number of people, maybe for a total 12-14hrs per day.

Would it be outrageous to assume that the typcial cost per week of a 50 would be $10-$15?...I really have no idea :shock:
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i think $10 per week to run a 50" plasma is very likely- especially if its going ot be on 12-15 hrs per day.. with that kinda usage be sure to get and extended warranty thru http://www.dtvexpress.com/ they have the cheapest i found. when i bought my 55' sony DLP recently i got a 5 year 2 bulb replacment warranty for $178 - BIG BOX wanted $400+ for a 3year 1 bulb.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Davo26 wrote:Dan....reading your post made my head, neck and back hurt, LOL.
I realize that plasma's peak usage or max wattage is higher than LCD, but my understanding is that 720p 42inch plas vs 42inch LCD use a similar amount of power per a given unit of time.....I have noticed that as the size and pixels increase, the peak power figure rises steeply, but what I'm curious about is whether anyone can say roughly how much extra electricity their 42-50in plasma uses per week based on their own rough estimates?

I know that my quaterly electricity bill is approx $200, so if I bought a 50in, then I could make assumptions based on the difference on the next bill, however, I'm simply uncertain as to the cost, and I'm worried as the TV will be used between a number of people, maybe for a total 12-14hrs per day.

Would it be outrageous to assume that the typcial cost per week of a 50 would be $10-$15?...I really have no idea :shock:
lol, sorry. Allow me to make it simple :mrgreen:

Find out the wattage rating of the Plasma (either manufacturers spec in manual; off their website; or off of the sticker on the back of the TV (if you have/have access to it)). Then use this calculator to work out how much it will cost to run. You'll have to put in how much your electric costs per KWh, so check your last electric bill if you are unsure( as it will say on there).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

so this doesnt sound right- i used the calc and it gave me a yearly cost of .41cents to use my TV.. did i enter my number correctly.. i pulled this from my bill
Current Electricity Charges
Residential Electric Service - RG1 1 Days
Facilities (1 days x $.220270/days) $.22
Non-taxable Customer Charge $1.64
Energy (16 kWh x $.099880/kWh) $1.60
Residential Electric Service - RG1 28 Days
Facilities (28 days x $.250000/days) $7.00
Energy (439 kWh x $.117630/kWh) $51.64 I plugged in .11763 in the calc for Cents per KWh

So my TV is 55'DLP and uses 240watts.
at about 4 hrs per day

thats crazy if its correct. i though it would be much higher.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The cost box is already in cents (not dollars) so you actually put 0.11763 cents/kWh instead of 11.763 cents/kWh >_<

You got the basics, just an oversight on the units used :mrgreen:

The actual cost would be: $41.22 for a year.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Davo26 »

Okay that sounds fine.....I kept hearing people complain about energy consumption, and I thought it might be substantially more.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Davo26 wrote:Okay that sounds fine.....I kept hearing people complain about energy consumption, and I thought it might be substantially more.
double that for plasma

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

damn if thats all its going to cost me i need to start watchin more tv...
ullh82w8
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ullh82w8 »

I put a mete on my 52" Panasonic Plasma and it uses 12.99 KWH
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Cool, wasn't sure how much my 50" DLP was sucking. Other than football or basketball games our TV is barely on during the week. Average usage over a 7 day period would be 1-2 hours max. Now that we're coming into football season it will go up some, then when college hoops gets rollin it will really go up. Good times...ready for this season to kick off...

Good link on that power calc...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell