NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics Cards by EVGA and PNY

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics Cards by EVGA and PNY

Post by Apoptosis »

Built with over 1.4 billion transistors, NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 280 and 260 GPUs are the largest and most complex GPUs ever created. Featuring 240 shader processors, 80 texture processors, and 1 GB of frame buffer, the GeForce GTX 280 better be enough to make you get all hot and sweaty. Read on as we look at the only water cooled GeForce GTX 280's on the market! We also test the card on 11 games/benchmarks and on Folding at Home (F@H) to see how it does against several other cards.

"Overall the GeForce GTX 280 graphics card was a winner in our books and it made a difference while gaming, which is the most important thing. The game we noticed the performance gains the most was actually Age of Conan when we cranked up the image quality at a resolution of 1920x1200 . Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures passed the astounding 'One Million Copies Shipped' milestone in less than three weeks after the game's launch, so that is a huge potential market in the months to come..."
Article Title: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics Cards by EVGA and PNY @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/726/1/
DIGG URL: http://digg.com/hardware/Water_Cooled_G ... ed_by_EVGA
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics Cards by EVGA and PNY

Post by dicecca112 »

Almost 6k ppd with these cards, are you kidding me. Wow, you can't get that unless your running 8 cores of SMP. Folding team get on this, rob a bank if you have to.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

these are impressive when running F@H... the test system was sitting in the 290 Watt range running F@H and was cranking out 6,000 points a day on the beta client... My Skulltrail system doesn't turn in that many points and is over 500 watts and the system can't be used without turning off F@H... With GPU folding the PC was fine to do whatever. I was doing photoshop and running applications with the system folding its butt off.

Just wait till the F@H client scales with GPU's... 3-way SLI anyone?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

the card is nice, but it cost as much as my house payment. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for A card.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

You're right about the price, except that it's a bit more than my house payment.................... :shock:

The wife would kill me if I even thought about spending that on a video card.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

:snakeman:

i'm done paying my car off in 2 more weeks.
a little research and saving and one of these suckers is going to be mine.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

Now to find out how these compare to the AMD/ATI cards when released. I have to hope that this is their chance to pull ahead for a while.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

This is really going to put the little folding teams out of the picture. And what makes it worse is that the bigger teams have better odds of people likely to get one of these.

:(

Dan

(lol, but it's a great card for gaming, if a little pricy.)
Image (<- Clickable)
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

I'm glad I spent my money on the 8800GTX, but now it's possibly time to buy a new one. So, who wants to buy me one? :mrgreen:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Now guys, don't start lining up to buy him this card!

The folding will probably be throttled as far as points (Just like SMP has). I doubt stanford would want the bigger teams to knock out the smaller teams like this.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

All i have to say is meh.
It seems to me like these cards are a very half assed effort. theve had since 2006 to work on a completly new core (not counting core refreshes) and all they get is a measly average of 7 FPS performance boost over the gx2? i know that the gx2 is a double core card and the 280 is only a single, but the gx2 is essentially based on 2 year old technology. IMHO 2 years of advancement should yeild more than a 7 fps gain in performance. Plus the gx2 is hundreds cheaper! i dont care how many transistors it has, i dont care how advanced it is. i dont care how versitle it is, if it doesnt put out good performance numbers its all just a bunch of money down the drain. until i see lots of mainstream applications that i benifit from (other than folding) this whole CUDA thing means nothing to me. i dont care if its going to turn my world upside down and shake the lunch money out of its pockets, it still hasnt done it yet.
</rant>
Nice informative review though. but i have a question: whats this?
can we get a core number on it? my guess is that this whole card is really an integrated cpu/mobo/ram solution that just doesnt have to run the windows kernal (which is why it has better FLOPS performance) and that that is the northbridge. my guess is that this thing in reality uses some nvidia trademark version of the good ol' front side bus, but im probably way off :mrgreen:
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I'm really not that impressed if the gx2 beats it in half of the different things, that being said it does do a hell of a job folding. Also In the "Final Thoughts and Conclusions" Section at the end, did you mean to say "a near era" or "a new era"?
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

dgood wrote:[snip]

Also In the "Final Thoughts and Conclusions" Section at the end, did you mean to say "a near era" or "a new era"?
doh! Thanks for pointing that out...You've got to excuse the typos since Nate was finishing the article after flying all night (plus, I didn't do my job as a proofreader! :oops: )
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

I want one of those sooo badly... only thing is that card is worth more than my whole computer!

wake me up when nvidia uses practical pricing tactics
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Meh.....I don't see anything interesting in this card.
Why is it built on 65nm when ATI have been using 55nm for months?

If they used 55/45nm then they could have reduced power consumption, increased clock speed and made it less expensive to produce.

I think I'll wait for ATI's offering, as this is supposed to be faster, not to mention cheaper!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

martini161 wrote:Nice informative review though. but i have a question: whats this?
can we get a core number on it? my guess is that this whole card is really an integrated cpu/mobo/ram solution that just doesnt have to run the windows kernal (which is why it has better FLOPS performance) and that that is the northbridge. my guess is that this thing in reality uses some nvidia trademark version of the good ol' front side bus, but im probably way off :mrgreen:

That would be the NVIDIA NVIO controller. It was a separate chip on the G80 core and then on the G92 chips it was integrated and now it's back out. This handles the output capabilities of the GTX200 series, and it supports HDCP at 2560 x 1600. As for numbers on the NIVO - NV102-A2

The only picture I have on my camera card is this one:
chip.jpg
chip.jpg (44.46 KiB) Viewed 9796 times
Here is another shot I found on the web:
DSC09563.jpg
DSC09563.jpg (76.56 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

aircommando13 wrote:I want one of those sooo badly... only thing is that card is worth more than my whole computer!

wake me up when nvidia uses practical pricing tactics
Ok, but change your user name to Rip Van Winkle first. :lol:
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Meh. Nice review of a not so impressive product. Brute force appoach didn't work so well this time and those things sell for far more than the MSRP.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Nate, this is one of the best written reviews you've done.
Joe