Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition 512MB Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition 512MB Review

Post by Apoptosis »

The Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition is equipped with 512MB of GDDR5 memory and comes packed with innovative features like a dual bios and dual cooling fans. Palit custom designed this graphics card from the ground up, so no even the PCB is reference designed. Read on to see what Palit changed and how it performs with all the changes!

Anyone can slap on an aftermarket heatsink and call it a day but Palit's implementation of two BIOS chips on this video card was a welcome improvement. I am notorious for killing video cards and I've had my fair share of video cards that I've bricked from bad BIOS flashes so having two BIOS chips on the card doesn't immediately render it useless after a bad flash. Palit features two BIOS profiles, one with stock clocks and one slightly overclocked. The stock clocks are 750MHz on the core and 950MHz on the memory. Palit bumps this up to 775MHz on the core and 1000MHz on the memory for a modest and safe overclock.
Article Title: Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition 512MB Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/819/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $277.99 plus shipping
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition 512MB Review

Post by GI-JOE »

Nice, I might have to jump on one of these when the come down to my price range! I love a quiet/cool pc. 8)
Last edited by GI-JOE on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Not bad. Looks like it's definitely worth the small price difference for a quieter, cooler, more user friendly 4870. Too bad I got one before all the after-market coolers started showing up. Oh well, still a nice card.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Dude, that things sexy! I'm loving my Power Color. If you were going stock cooling, that thing would be amazing.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

The cooler on this card rocks. I simply like having this card not bake at 80 Celsius at idle and push triple digits under load like the reference cards/cooler. I also liked the dual BIOS feature as during the review I was trying to flash the card with a different BIOS and ended up bricking* it. After 30 seconds of freaking out I simply flicked the BIOS switch and was back up and running to finish the review. I ended up voltmodding(~1.25vGPU stock, walls at 805MHz) the card in preparation for another review and it's happily doing 875MHz on the core with load temps around 80 Celsius, still cooler than the idle of my previous HD4870 :mrgreen:

*- flashed with a 64KB bios instead of the full 128KB with the GDDR5 code. BIOS is bricked and unrecoverable :shock:
3DMark06 Addict

oellrich
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by oellrich »

The problem with the bizarre clock numbers shown by GPU-Z for 48XX ATI cards have been corrected (at least for my dual 4850s) with version 0.28.GPU-Z matches the Catalyst numbers.

john
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

This build of GPU-z will report all the correct info on all the new ATi cards, even the shaders on the new HD4830.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/155

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/155 ... /GPU-Z.exe
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Ahh, must have pulled the wrong version of GPU-Z from my archive. Guess that's the issue with storing every version I download for future use.
3DMark06 Addict

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Did you have any problems with the location of the power connectors? It's kinda unsual. I wondered if the mobo tray was in the way.

It's a good choice for a modder as you could just cut a hole for the power supply leads on the tray and you'd never see them.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Skippman wrote:Did you have any problems with the location of the power connectors? It's kinda unsual. I wondered if the mobo tray was in the way.

It's a good choice for a modder as you could just cut a hole for the power supply leads on the tray and you'd never see them.
actually there on the top of the card
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

I had no problem with the power connectors located where they were. They are mounted just like the GTX280 and I had no problems mounting that in a case so I imagine this card would be just the same.
3DMark06 Addict