Smooth Creations LANShark Gaming System Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

A break from the ordinary, we take a look at a complete PC gaming system with custom airbrushed artwork, Intel Quad core processor, and 4870 1GB in CrossFire. Tired of everyone having the same computer case as you? Smooth Creations has a high quality solution. The Smooth Creations LANShark was designed to be the Ultimate LAN party system and with a custom painted 16" acrylic case and two ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB graphics cards in CrossFire it will make your buddies smack talk stop dead in their tracks.

So what can we say about this beauty from Smooth Creations? For the intended audience it’s great. If you appreciate art or really want a departure from the norm for your next gaming PC, Smooth Creations' LANShark is one to keep on your short list. However the one thing I’ve left out until now is the price. At $2,537 this is not an inexpensive machine, but it really isn’t an incredible amount of money over the sum of its parts. When you consider the amount of work that’s been put in, the 1 year warranty on the parts, and the lifetime warranty on the paint (excludes scratching and chipping of course) it really isn’t a bad price if you’re in the market for a system you don’t put together yourself.
Article Title: Smooth Creations LANShark Gaming System Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/828/1/
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Smooth Creations LANShark Gaming System Review

Post by Gomeler »

What was the processor and memory overclocked to? Interesting case, not a huge fan of acrylic but that airbrush work is great stuff. Not a bad price for a boutique PC, perhaps I should get in on that market 8)
3DMark06 Addict

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

That's some nice artwork! Wish I could find someone to make me a stencle and a etching for my new case. I'd like to have a little row of the logos of the parts inside on the bottom of the case door in like mat grey or something. Have you guys seen the 500+ dollar custom painted Coolermaster cases New Egg is selling?
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Good catch on the processor speed. It was over clocked up to 3GHz (375x8), so not much of one! I've updated the hardware page with the info.
skier

Post by skier »

bit expensive, but that blue is beautiful imho
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
InFuZiOn
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InFuZiOn »

I liked the paint job but I definitely noticed the lack of a sound card and a few other options that was mentioned in the review towards the end. Personally if you ask me $2500 should get you a FULL computer with the sound card and everything. A fancy airbrushed case with good video cards, HD, and a not-so-extremely overclocked CPU is definitely not worth what they're asking. IMO knock off that other video card and maybe use a slightly larger case for expandability. I dont know anyone who hasnt upgraded, fixed, or changed parts on their computer at one point in time since they're owned it and that case looks like a serious pain in the ass to have to modify in the least bit after all the wiring stealth SC put into making the LANShark look "pretty"
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

I'd say instead they should have done an HD4870x2 and instead of that quad an E8400 at 3.6GHz to 4GHz would have made it worth while. A second hard drive would have been appreciated also. Guess you can please everyone. 12% overclock eh? Should have gone for a 400x8 and run the memory 1:1 *shrug*
3DMark06 Addict

gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Very nice, thought I didn't see this one on their site. Or did I just miss it?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

gwolfman wrote:Very nice, thought I didn't see this one on their site. Or did I just miss it?
This paint job isn't on there. It was a custom one off design that can be ordered... Brian managed to ruin it though in the couple weeks that he had it.
chipped.jpg
chipped.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
I just handed off the system to Fed Ex so it's on the way back to Smooth Creations. I just hope they are able to fix the chip. I sent them an e-mail with this picture, but when they responded they didn't mention the chip. Brian feels really bad for chipping it and he doesn't even know how it happened. It's just the clear coat and not the acrylic, so I hope they can fix it easily. The system was built over 30 days ago, so I figured the paint would be 'harder' now than it originally was.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Ahh, I see. Thanks.