AcoustiFan DustPROOF Ultra-Quiet PC Fans

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AcoustiFan DustPROOF Ultra-Quiet PC Fans

Post by Apoptosis »

Legit Reviews takes a little break from big stuff to introduce you to some cooling products to beat the summer heat. AcoustiFan specializes in high performance low noise fans; today LR will take a short look at their 80mm and 120mm offerings. Both are inexpensive means to improve the overall cooling performance of your system.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=220

Feel free to post and comments or questions about the article here.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Just did a quick froogle search to see where these fans can be had at and really only one retailer came up:
Sharka Computers

They seem to be quite expensive and also don't appear to come with those nice rubber sound/vibration dampeners either :(

Still seem like nice quality fans though. If it weren't for this review I would have never known about this product! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just noticed they also carry a clear version of the Acoustifan and it seems a little more reasonbly priced
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Seems like it might be good in a standard build, no OC'ing or anything of the sort. I know the last unit I built was quite noisy with 3 Dynex 80mm fans. Personally, I believe I could withstand the dB levels equivalent to yelling or a loud movie, like that which comes from a Tornado. The amount of cooling and air pressure has always been an important set of factors for me, not dB's, but perhaps the vast base of beginning PC builders and non "PC abusers (lol) can most definitely appreciate this fan. Although, it might make for a good side panel fan :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

QuietPC also carries them. I am actually using them both as side panel fans and have noticed no increase in case temperatures since installing them. they are however, much quieter than the Thermaltake fans they replaced.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Well, now that's pretty amazing, considering the airflow as compared to the fans in the comparison is much lower. What case are you running, capper, not sure if I asked you that or not
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I have two systems I currently running

1. AMD 3500+
DFI-NF4 SLI-DR
1GB Corsair XMS 4400 C25PT
X850 XT Platinum
Maxtor DM10 300GB HDD
Antec 640B
Koolance Exos-2 (CPU/NB/Video card/HDD water cooled)

2. Intel Pentium D 840 EE
ASUS P5WD2 Premium
1 GB Corsair XMS 5400UL
X850 XT Platinum
Maxtor DM10 300GB HDD
Antec 1050B
ECT Prometia Mach II cooler

The 120mm fan is being used on the side panel of system #1, very quiet, I don't think air flow is that big of an issue as long as you are drawing cool air into the case.
The 80mm fan is being used on the Prommie case over the chipset, again it is not much different than the old fan, but much quieter.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

maybe my point is that you will always see a bigger benfit using a higher flow fan in a critical area, but when it comes to cooling your HDD or simply using fans on the side panel, things reach a certain point where there is going to be very little difference.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:maybe my point is that you will always see a bigger benfit using a higher flow fan in a critical area, but when it comes to cooling your HDD or simply using fans on the side panel, things reach a certain point where there is going to be very little difference.
^^A very good point indeed! I totally agree, well said.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

though somewhat off subject, just out of curiosity, I am now curious of something else: how are you able to afford to build two leviathans like that? I hear the EE's run pretty in a pretty high price range, esp the 800 series (sponsorship, or is it just a good job you have?).
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Most of it is stuff I bought, some is review stuff, most of which I keep, and some of it is stiff I have traded for. There is no such thing as sponsorship in an unbiased review site....as soon as you take sponsorship stuff or money, you lose all objectivity.
I don't get paid, but I do get to keep the stuff i review, which I all still use at certain times depending on what type of review i am working on. i have also given away some stuff on the forums to members who need it , in contests , or otther staff who might need it.
It is a great job, one that is loits of fun, but there are downsides to it as well. Dealing with companies after you flog their product can be a bitch, dealing with nasty emails from people who disagree with your review, and finally spending an entire day writing an article, only to find out you did something wrong and have do all the testing over again.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Man, it does sound like a bitch, and personally, if I could make time, that would be something I wouldn't mind doing. I mean, I can stand to be brutally honest with manufacturers on their product. Sugar-coating an opinion about a product that really sucks is no way to go, and I guess that's why I like this forum, because there is a whole lot of honesty and objectivity (very important in a forum like this one, as big as this one). btw, I know what you're talking about, as I've seen some mildly scathing posts even in here about a few products, but not as bad as others might I add. You guys have something going good here in this forum. Cheers :drinkers:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

sometimes there is a really fine line. For instance, i had a company criticizea review I did, saying I wasn't fair, that my results were inaccurate, etc. So I asked them to run the same tests with the same components, they did, and didn't say another word when we compared results.....m y results were better than their own test results.
You have to be honest, there are times I disagree with companies, but you had better be sure of what you say and do, cuz it can make the difference between getting review materials in the future, or having to buy everything you review.
As to emails, i get some crazy stuff from time to time, nothing like the stuff that gets posted in the forums, much worse. I have even gotten an email from a review at another major site criticizing my grammar in one article I can't repeat what I told him). but after all that, it is a fun and very challenging job.
If you ever have the opportunity to do it, I'd strongly recommend it, as it will change your perception of the industry completely.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:You have to be honest, there are times I disagree with companies, but you had better be sure of what you say and do, cuz it can make the difference between getting review materials in the future, or having to buy everything you review.
Wow, yeah, that is a very fine line indeed, but I'd say you walk it very well :)

GOOD JOB L.R. :mrgreen:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

capper5016 wrote:sometimes there is a really fine line. For instance, i had a company criticizea review I did, saying I wasn't fair, that my results were inaccurate, etc. So I asked them to run the same tests with the same components, they did, and didn't say another word when we compared results.....m y results were better than their own test results.
Sometimes you gotta shut the manufacturers' collective traps when they're downplaying and badmouthing your testing procedures and as they've been applied in the reviews. It's things like what you've just stated that can really drive thoroughly informed customers away, and that's lost business, no doubt about it. I believe I'll build my rig first and see how that goes....if everything goes well, then I'll get more info (from you, with your permission) about getting into the review process, though I don't mod or admin in any forums (once again, with your permission, if I were to do so, I could always write a review in this one, and I would be honored to do so) :mrgreen: