Instant Boot on ASRock N7AD-SLI Motherboards

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

ASRock has recently been including a feature called Instant Boot on their N7AD-SLI motherboards and clams that it only takes 3 to 4 seconds to boot up to Windows. ASRock also claims that Instant Boot consumes less power, but does it really work? That is what we intend to find out in our video review as we bring out the timer and put it to the test.
Quote: "ASRock has decided to help us cope with those changes by introducing a technology called Instant Boot on their nForce 740i SLI motherboard based motherboard - N7AD-SLI. ASRock says that your system can be up and running in as little as four seconds. Though we did not experience that kind of speed, it was a nice feature to work with. We put together a short little video review to show you how it works."
Article Title: Instant Boot on ASRock N7AD-SLI Motherboards
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/856/1/
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Instant Boot on ASRock N7AD-SLI Motherboards

Post by martini161 »

seems like a pretty cool feature! how much energy does it use when in the "fast" s3 mode?
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Can't you just install this software using another manufacturers motherboard? I don't see any ties to the hardware anywhere...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

martini161 wrote:seems like a pretty cool feature! how much energy does it use when in the "fast" s3 mode?
Was thinking the same thing myself.

Nice Job on the video review Jason, were there many outtakes?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

A lot more out-takes than I wanted, that is for sure. I am testing the board now, so I do not have the ability to test the software on another board right now. 10 watts was used at the "fast" setting. 7 was used without using the software, and 8 watts was the reading for the "regular" setting.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Excellent video review Jason. Maybe you can do a video review for the full review of the ASRock motherboard that you're currently testing as well.
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

Very nice! :partyman:
leexgx
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by leexgx »

but its just using an S3 or S4 state (sleep ?) vista it self can do that cant it?, as it needs to reboot to enter the S3/S4 mode
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

I like ASRock. I have two different boards of theirs and they have been the most trouble free I have had and the most flexible.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

gwolfman wrote:Can't you just install this software using another manufacturers motherboard? I don't see any ties to the hardware anywhere...
can you confirm this? Have you tried it yet?
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Great job on the review, Jay. :supz: Nice cover when your daughter (?) came in and started talking. :lol: Would love to see the outtakes sometime, too. :mrgreen:

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Earl K.
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Earl K. »

It's really amazing booting your computer in just a few seconds. That is if you will not include the time it takes for the instant boot to complete the necessary process, the shutting down process, for its feature to take effect the next time you start your pc. I don't know if I did wrong when I installed instant boot in my new asrock g31m-s. But every time I shut down, it is always restarted by instant boot before it totally shuts down which is annoying me because I just don't want my pc to boot faster, I also want it to shutdown faster, or even slow as it used to be but not as slow as when instant boot is meddling with the shutdown process.

Anyway, nobody told me to install this software so I don't have any reason to complain. But what urged me to do this are the reviews, the raving views, about this feature. Because all the reviews and the videos talked only about the fast boot but not the time it takes to completely shutdown the computer with the instant boot installed and the fast mode enabled. ](*,)