Themaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Thermaltake SpinQ is far from what you'd expect a normal CPU cooler to look like. This cylinder heatsink has spiral aluminum fins and an s-curve Blade Fan with blue LED lights that puts in it a category all by itself. This cooler looks like it could be used as a weapon, but does it perform as well as it looks? Today we put the Thermaltake SpinQ to the test and install it on our test system to see how it does against 14 other heat sinks.

Article Title: Themaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/857/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $54.99 plus shipping
skier

Re: Themaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler Review

Post by skier »

good read, disappointing on the performance, but looks pretty slick
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

Id buy it just for looks!
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

After looking at how the cooler was installed on the MOBO, it's puzzling to say the least for the best orientation for the heat-pipes or for the air flow. :-k

If the heat-pipes were put in the proper location, then the air-flow would be ideal for exhaust, but fighting the intake. The Unit's best orientation would be to have the fan opening upward and the pipes to loop down and then up into the fins. Or in other words, turn the cooler to mount 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Not sure if it would have any drastic improvements on the performance, but it would put the cooler within other types competitively.

Looks like an exciting cooler though. :)
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

That is a great looking cooler but I'm the sort that is form way before function. But man I hope they can change something about it..... Maybe the review unit had a defect in the mounting of the heat pipes? A defective heat pipe? A heat pipe made of ceramic? You see where I'm going here? It looks great it just has to be a bad unit you got for review.....
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

if those edges were sharp instead of rounded id be all over it :mrgreen:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I was baffled by the temps as well. may come back to this one after the first of the year if I have time and try it in a different orientation.

It does look really cool though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

martini161 wrote:if those edges were sharp instead of rounded id be all over it :mrgreen:
lol that'd be nice to see. careful with the installation though. :p