Antec VERIS A/V Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Antec VERIS A/V Cooler Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Now that main gift giving time is over this holiday you might find yourself a little closer to that home theater you've been dreaming of the past few months. The vast majority of people will stuff that new home stereo equipment into an existing TV stand and never give heat much thought. The Antec A/V Cooler is deisnged to kepp all your home audio/video equpiment cool!

Just put the Antec A/V cooler on top of any A/V components air ventilation grid and the cooler will start to suck out the hot air out and away from the A/V component. The idea is simple enough and for $61.01 plus shipping you can have one at your door and ready to use on your precious stereo components. One of the most popular mid-range receivers today is the Onkyo TX-SR806B and at $619 plus shipping this 7.1 Channels, 130 W/Channel receiver also gets pretty hot. When spending that much money on a receiver it only makes sense to make sure that it is being properly cooled.
Article Title: Antec VERIS A/V Cooler Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/858/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $61.01 plus shipping
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Antec VERIS A/V Cooler Review

Post by martini161 »

is this rack mountable?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Based on the photo's I'd have to say no. And it looks like it should be as quite or quiter than your normal fan on a DLP or LCD rearprojection TV.

I've not personally used the Onkyo unit mentioned in the article but I know my Yamaha units (RX-V1600 and RX-V1800) both have internal fans. Does the Onkyo lack that?

Nate, that stack of gear in the first photo. I recognize the Sony AVR and the Motorola HDTV cable box. What's the black thing on the bottom? At first I thought it might be a multichannel amp but it looks like it's got an LCD screen on it. Is that your HTPC?

Basically thing things designed to fix a problem that really shouldn't exist in the first place. While that furniture you see in the store or at Wal Mart may look nice and compact you need to give your components proper spacing in order to allow for air flow. Recievers should never be put in cabinets like the one shown in the first picture and should always be placed as high as possible in the component rack/shelf in order to allow the natural convection of the heatsyncs to occur without obstuction.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

martini161 wrote:is this rack mountable?
No it's just designed to sit on a/v components.
Skippman wrote:I've not personally used the Onkyo unit mentioned in the article but I know my Yamaha units (RX-V1600 and RX-V1800) both have internal fans. Does the Onkyo lack that?
They have fans, but don't kick on till they hit a certain temperature.
Skippman wrote:Nate, that stack of gear in the first photo. I recognize the Sony AVR and the Motorola HDTV cable box. What's the black thing on the bottom? At first I thought it might be a multichannel amp but it looks like it's got an LCD screen on it. Is that your HTPC?
That is a Moneual LAB Black Aluminum 972B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811280010

I didn't mention this in the article, but when this came out it was $119 MSRP, so they are nearly half the price that they came out and and if you look hard you can catch them for ~$50 shipped on special. Not bad for that price.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Apoptosis wrote:That is a Moneual LAB Black Aluminum 972B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811280010

I didn't mention this in the article, but when this came out it was $119 MSRP, so they are nearly half the price that they came out and and if you look hard you can catch them for ~$50 shipped on special. Not bad for that price.
looks like the wrong link, or you missed some 0's in the price?
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DaIceMan wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:That is a Moneual LAB Black Aluminum 972B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811280010

what do you mean? That HTPC case is ~$550 and the Antec A/V Cooler can be found for $45 plus shipping at buy.com
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Apoptosis wrote:
DaIceMan wrote:

what do you mean? That HTPC case is ~$550 and the Antec A/V Cooler can be found for $45 plus shipping at buy.com
ah, thought you meant the case was $50, as that was what the question was about. My mistake.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

thanks for the review
BoogieNYC
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by BoogieNYC »

I have a Denon 3808CI and recently picked up and installed a Western Digital WDTV Media Player. I knew the Denon put out serious heat so when I originally set up my gear I used hockey pucks to put some space between the Denon and a Sony five-disc DVD changer above it (one puck under each of the Sony's legs). There's still a lot of heat in the cabinet but it's not all firing upward at the Sony or, worse, back into the Denon.

When I got the WDTV -- which is actually amazing, incidentally -- I wanted to keep the requisite Western Digital MyBook 500GB drive up top next to the components, but because of the heat I was concerned the drive would fail (extreme heat plus high-capacity, high-speed hard drive equals a quickly-shrinking MTBF). Plus, the first WDTV unit I bought was DOA and this one feels warm even when nothing is on for hours; just having the thing plugged in keeps it a wee bit warm.

The question is: should I use the pucks and place them under the Antec cooler (leaving an inch or so of space above the Denon) or should I leave the cooler right on top of the Denon? My cabinet has a pretty large rectangular cut-out in back so the Antec could function in both ways (ie right on top of the Denon or raised up). I'm thinking that more heat will get pushed out if the Antec is flush with the Denon, but more ambient heat will get pushed out if it's got some space between that and the Denon.

Any ideas?

The other question is whether having the Antec on the same circuit (a UPS with the receiver, a Samsung LCD, cable box, etc.) going to affect sound/video quality. Anyone noticed any degradation in quality as a result of having this cooler installed?

Thanks in advance!

-B-

PS Thanks for the great review!