New Mushkin Memory Heat Spreaders

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Mushkin Memory Heat Spreaders

Post by Apoptosis »

Starting next week Mushkin Memory will begin shipping all their performance memory modules with a newly designed heat spreader. Come take a look at the new heat spreader and find out our future thoughts on Mushkin as a company.

Quote:

"The new heatsink provides a 58% increase in surface area and also allows for increased airflow to quickly remove heat. All this is being done without increasing the cost to consumers and at a time when innovation in the memory industry is lackluster to say the least..."

Title: Mushkin's New Memory Heat Spreader @ Legit Reviews
Link: http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=225
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Woah, sounds like some big changes in Mushkin land! But they sound like good changes, a situation that should hopefully breed innovation and quality. It is always nice to see a company do an overhaul of their products and step outside the norm and try something different. Mushkin had seemed to be sortof up and down recently, but hopefully this will change things for the better. For a company to say that it is 100% employee owned and run seems like a major task. For Mushkin to do something like this really gives the image of being focused and dedicated to providing a quality, inovative product for the consumer and that is obviously a good thing!

Oh yeah, the new heatspreaders look sweet too :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Well Mushkin has always been a good company so yeah this can only help
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

Good news indeed, particularly with the needed focus on cooling in their higher voltage RAM (Redline). That's quite the improvement.
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Knight Who Says Ni! »

What are the heat spreaders constructed of? Aluminum, I'm assuming?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Knight Who Says Ni! wrote:What are the heat spreaders constructed of? Aluminum, I'm assuming?
a herring perhaps, or maybe a shrubbery.
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

:lol: The problem is I am no longer the Knight Who Says Ni, but the Knight Who Says Icky Icky Icky Icky Pla-Klang! Zoop blang! *mubbles*
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

ahhhhh, that explains it.
cadaveca
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cadaveca »

wow. i'm buying a pair, or 10...from where in canada tho? If mushkin think they can overtake OCZ and the likes, they need to expand thier market outlook. The innovation is fine and dandy, but if you do not give it a chance to shine, nobody is going to care.

Maybe if they used the opportunity to explain to people that on the pcb, each IC needs to be the same temp in order to maintain timings, people would not think so lightly of a heatspreader, or call them useless. :finga:
- Intel E6600 @ 3.33ghz -AIR - Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 @ 5-5-5-15 555.5mhz - X1900CF, X1900XTX 774/774 - Ageia PhysX P1 -
AMD X2 4400+ @ 2.64ghz Stock AIR-Cooled - Mushkin XP4000 REDLINE 2GB X1800XL
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

cadaveca wrote:from where in canada tho?
here. :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Okay.. It is time to bring this thread back on topic...

I just went to FedEx and picked up my first redline module with the new Mushkin Heat Spreader. Looks pretty cool in the box. It is the same build and type of material that the previous Mushkin and Kingston type heat spreaders use. The color red is exactly the same as the old modules.

I love the new clip that retains the heat spreader. I can easily remove it with only my fingers. No more trying to pull off the old clamp that is locked into place. This one just slides on and thats it.

My biggest rant deals with this comment: "The new heatsink provides a 58% increase in surface area"! Since it is Saturday I have not been able to get in touch with Mushkin, but I have called them up and called them on their PR comments.

Help me out guys... Below are some pictures that I just took... Do you see a 58% increase in surface area?

The New Mushkin Atomic Heat Spreader with the old version:

A view of the width:

A view of the top:

I'm not seeing it... the heat spreaders aren't 58% bigger and the increased surface area on the top of the module doesn't make up for that either. Am i missing something? Sound off guys/gals! :?
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Well because they said it also allows for more air to pass through, perhaps they means a 58% increase in surface area of which air can pass through, hense the holes at the top. Not very likely though, just throwing ideas around.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I was thinking that too, but just by changing the top of the module can't add up to 58% can it... I'm doing math in my head and the numbers are not coming out right.
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

In addition the holes in the top it's not being held down by the same old clamp either so air might more easily get in all around it perhaps?
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

It's hard to tell without looking at them in person, but when looking at a single stick, can you possibly account for a 29% increase in surface area? Between whatever extra surface area you can see on the top and however minutely larger it may be as a whole, if it adds up to 29%, they could be doubling that for a dual-channel kit and coming up with 58%. And if I really want to stretch the imagination (which it initially appears one must do to get this to add up), I could point out a small area increase in the width as compared to their regular heatsink:
I also wonder if the fact that it "is now using advanced thermal adhesive with double the thermal conductivity of the previous material."

And that's about as creative as I can get on this one. Image
Last edited by One4yu2c on Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Of course we could all say Mushkin is lying for marketing purposes and completey end our inverstiagition. :P
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

lol... the whole point of LR is to help people figure out the correct facts!
Knight Who Says Ni!
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Apoptosis wrote:lol... the whole point of LR is to help people figure out the correct facts!
Yep and in this case the fact is that Mushkin used a marketing ploy. :P

Seriously though I agree with One4yu2c that it was probably 29% per stick, resulting in 58%, other than that I think it's surface which air can get to and not how much the heatsink actually covers.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Whats needed is a 3rd party company (or even Kingston etc.), to make a heatpipe type heatspreader. You would prob have to construct yourself as a kit. They could use very small heatpipes, and offer an extreme version too. This is probably unrealalistic

todays BH*/CH*/UTT memory runs VERY hot
You either have to put together a makshift cooling solution or mod your case to keep the RAM cool. This puts some people off.

TCCD was a mistake, it's rated for DDR500, Just happens to run 2225 @ DDR400 --> But this has rekindled the fire for ultra low latency.

Now all companies have a low latency module on offer. This new heatspreader is just a natural progression. The average joe now understands the need for quality memory (low latency or not). This means memory companies know we are will to pay of memory.

We will see all manufacturers bringing out new cooling solutions as they KNOW they have a market for it.

All we have to do is wait for Nate to bring us a review, when all these new products to come out :)

For the likes of Kingston and others, I presume the profit on selling UTT ram is huge. Since it is UnTesTed Ram, don't Kingston buy the IC's cheaper?
So I'm sure memory companies a luv the currnet trends.

:side note:
OCZ have their GX series which can do 222 " 2.8v
Is that BH5 etc. or something else? TCCD?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've been asking Corsair since 2003 to come out with water cooled heat spreaders for their original HydroCool and then the HydroCool 200ex, but they didn't think kindly of the idea. If you are one of the leading memory companies and offer water cooling and those are your only two products wouldn't it make sense for them to work together? Then you could package them or offer bundle deals in the retail market. Companies like Best Buy pretty much require MIR (Mail in Rebates) in the super fine print when they carry a brands products... It would have worked out nicely, but never came to light. Will water cooled memory happen? Damn skippy and soon. It already does, but they are all home made kits. Imagine if you could buy water cooled heat spreaders and use them on the Muskin Redline or OCZ Gold VX memory with the UTT IC's... Crank up the voltage to 3.6-3.8V and let the water run!