NVIDIA Ion Platform Benchmark Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

At the Consumer Electronics Show last week, NVIDIA was showing off a new reference platform that they were calling the world's smallest fully capable visual computer. Features like DirectX 10 graphics, NVIDIA CUDA technology, and HD video are now possible in a 3" x 4" motherboard. This PC is so small that it fits in the palm of your hand with room left to spare.

Pictured above is what NVIDIA is calling the worlds smallest, most affordable, fully capable PC. The internal volume of this chassis is just a half liter, which is insane once you start thinking about what the PC is able to do. The NVIDIA GeForce 9400 has integrated core logic, so both the North Bridge and South Bridge are integrated into one chipset along with the graphics.
Article Title: NVIDIA Ion Platform Benchmark Preview
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/876/1/
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: NVIDIA Ion Platform Benchmark Preview

Post by gwolfman »

It's nice to see nVidia pushing the envelope with some new ideas. Especially since Intel isn't. I'm curious to see what AMD has to offer.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

wow, that thing has a ton of potential. one thing i can think of off the top of my head would be having it integrated into a receiver! just hook up the lan and youve got a great media center front end!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah and they should retail well under $400 from what we were told at CES... With just one memory slot they will be a little memory limited depending on what OS you plan on running.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

I could see myself using a slightly stronger version of this for my desktop. I wouldn't mind a dual-core, quad-thread Atom processor with 4GB of ram and a 9400GT/MCP combo for a daily desktop. Perfect for surfing the web, compiling spread sheets, and maybe some light Flash gaming. Basically a netbook but I'd strap it to a huge HDD array via NAS :mrgreen:
3DMark06 Addict

geokilla

Post by geokilla »

I just realized. This is more or less the same size as my Rogers Internet modem cable box. Bad thing about this is that it's so small you might lose it easily...lol.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

I could see it falling off my desk into the tangle of wires and getting lost. I wish monitors only had 1 cable that carried both power and signal :(
3DMark06 Addict

Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I would buy two of these to act as Media Extenders off my Media Server as I could custom design thier front ends and they're small enough to not be obtrusive in a home theater enviroment.