AMD Dragon lights up record

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Dragon lights up record

Post by Apoptosis »

Just got this from a friend at AMD and I thought I'd pass it along to you all:
As most of us breathe a collective sigh now that CES is over, I wanted to share something that isn’t staying in Vegas. As many of you know AMD Phenom™ II processors are the heart of Dragon platform technology; and even in the middle of the desert, this platform was as cool as liquid helium. During a live extreme overclocking event in Las Vegas last Saturday, January 10th, 2009 – this platform set new world records for frequency, performance and low temperature.

The event was arranged by Xtremesystems.org and a number of companies were invited – AMD, Intel, Gigabyte, DFI, Coolermaster, EVGA and others. With liquid helium cooling these new processors to approximately -225 degrees Celsius, we ran the popular 3DMark05 benchmark and quickly reached a 3D stable processor clock speed of 6.3 GHz. We used AMD OverDrive™ tuning software to set and control performance. We ran multiple 3DMark05 runs in front of the live audience, increasing the clock frequency (with AMD OverDrive) and the score on the fly from around 44,000 3DMarks at 6.2 GHz up to the record-breaking 45,474 3DMarks at 6.3 GHz. See official results here: http://www.futuremark.com/community/hal ... /3dmark05/.

In the record breaking run, the AMD Phenom II processor ran at 6.301 GHz with the North Bridge overclocked to 3.843 GHz. The DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RS motherboard ran OCZ Reaper DDR2-1200 rated memory modules and a pair of ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 graphics cards aircooled at 800 to 950MHz utilizing ATI CrossFireX™ technology.

More Facts:

CPU-Z frequency 6.435 GHz verification file was saved and officially approved (although 6.509 GHz was displayed on the big screen during the show), the highest clock frequency ever recorded on a quad core x86 CPU. CPU-Z validation link for 6.435 GHz: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=483738.

New, official 3DMark05 World record of 45,474 3DMarks was achieved in front of the live audience: the AMD Phenom II processor ran at 6.301 GHz during the benchmark, ATI Radeon 4870X2 video cards ran with the stock cooler.
Official ranking: http://www.futuremark.com/community/hal ... /3dmark05/

The first live demo with Liquid Helium cooling and sub -200C temperatures (NOTE: the temperature meters were out of range at sub -200 degrees C, the actual temperature might have been lower than -242 degrees C). The Liquid Helium cooling solution reached an idle temperature of approximately -242 C (-403.6F). AMD Phenom II CPU was stable and operational under these extreme conditions.

Pictures from this overclocking event and of AMD at CES 2009: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amd_unprocessed/

Get Pat Moorhead’s take on his blog: http://budurl.com/OnHelium
skier

Re: AMD Dragon lights up record

Post by skier »

wow, is helium the new nitrogen or what
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

they just wanted to up the notch a bit and go more extreme... I would say they have... Sadly AMD didn't really invite the press to the event, so other than xtreme systems crew the event wan't populated by too many. Not sure why AMD would do that to be honest.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Apoptosis wrote:they just wanted to up the notch a bit and go more extreme... I would say they have... Sadly AMD didn't really invite the press to the event, so other than xtreme systems crew the event wan't populated by too many. Not sure why AMD would do that to be honest.
Possibly to limit the exposure in case of catastrophic failure. Word will get out if successful either way, perhaps they could control it if not successful. Just my logic
baddogg19901990
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by baddogg19901990 »

Didn't Intel beat the record with there's only clocked at 5.6GHz? Correct me if wrong
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Since this attempt or that was the current record before this attempt?

Clock for clock Intel still does have the lead in performance yes. Things like pricing, platform pricing, and selling higher clocked chips for the same as lower clocked intel ones etc are what is going to keep AMD competitive.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)