AMD Phenom II 810 & 720 BE Processor Dry Ice Overclocking

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD has done a great job at getting the word out that Phenom II is a new and improved processor, but how do these new Phenom II processors overclock with extreme cooling? AMD showed us that the temperature bug is long gone by running a AMD Phenom II X4 processor at 1.95V and at below -190C, but what can we pull off on our own test bench? This weekend we purchased ten pounds of dry ice along with some Acetone to see what we could get a pair of Phenom II socket AM3 processors could do on the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe motherboard.

Article Title: AMD Phenom II 810 & 720 BE Processor Dry Ice Overclocking
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/905/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Phenom II 810 & 720 BE Processor Dry Ice Overclocking

Post by Gomeler »

Glad to see nothing died in your exploits. Definitely need to insulate better next time, maybe I'll do a write-up on proper insulation so you don't kill anything.
3DMark06 Addict

THRASHER2
Legit User
Legit User

Post by THRASHER2 »

I can't wait until I get a AMD Phenom II CPU so I can do some water cooling on it.

Killer review on the AMD Phenom II 810 & 720 :supz:
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Wow, not bad. I didn't know dry ice could work so well. Thanks for the review. Are you going to do one with an i7 on dry ice? I'd be interested in that. The first picture on the second page with all the frost on it, what was that a picture of or what part of the motherboard?

Btw, direct link to this forum is broken, it just links to page 1 of the article.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

gwolfman wrote:Wow, not bad. I didn't know dry ice could work so well. Thanks for the review. Are you going to do one with an i7 on dry ice? I'd be interested in that. The first picture on the second page with all the frost on it, what was that a picture of or what part of the motherboard?

Btw, direct link to this forum is broken, it just links to page 1 of the article.
Thanks for pointing out the bad forum link in the article. I have that fixed now.

I believe the picture you are referring to is the bottom of the motherboard directly under the socket.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

tbh i find 4ghz under DICE disappointing! I guess it's Asus's fault for limiting the voltage. But nonetheless great review :supz:
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Illuminati wrote:
gwolfman wrote:Wow, not bad. I didn't know dry ice could work so well. Thanks for the review. Are you going to do one with an i7 on dry ice? I'd be interested in that. The first picture on the second page with all the frost on it, what was that a picture of or what part of the motherboard?

Thanks for pointing out the bad forum link in the article. I have that fixed now.

I believe the picture you are referring to is the bottom of the motherboard directly under the socket.
I didn't know there would be so many ICs directly under the socket. Maybe I'm just not that familiar with AMD boards.
Jake_AMD
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Jake_AMD »

Team Finland strikes again setting the 3DMark06 World Record under Liquid Nitrogen cooling. Watch the video here: http://links.amd.com/FinsDoItAgain
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

DRIED ice is more for show only and never really for avg users:)
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

That is some frosty goodness there =)
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

SAMSAMHA wrote:DRIED ice is more for show only and never really for avg users:)
Dry ice has actually become quite common for the enthusiast bencher. It is readily available, easily utilized, and most importantly, cheap. You can get a dry ice pot for $100 to $150 and spend $20 on dry ice to have a good time. Now the problem is what do yo define as the average user :rolleyes:
3DMark06 Addict

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Gomeler wrote:Glad to see nothing died in your exploits. Definitely need to insulate better next time, maybe I'll do a write-up on proper insulation so you don't kill anything.
pfft... didn't fry anything, but you never know! If you want to write something quick up i think it could help some people...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Sure thing, I'll do a write-up on the rubber eraser insulation method. Should be able to do it sometime this week, putting the finishing touches on my cascade and then I'll bench the Phenom II I have.
3DMark06 Addict