Device Manager Driver Problem...

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Robert Barnett
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Device Manager Driver Problem...

Post by Robert Barnett »

Hello,

I have in Windows Vista Ultimate in Device Manager a yellow trial device under "Other Devices" called "Serial ATA Controller". The problem is that the controller on my motherboard (Intel D975XBX2) has the driver installed, the other driver available which is for the RAID controller won't install. I also have a PCI StarTech.com PEXESATA2 eSATA card, however it shows up under Storage Controllers. All of my hard drives both internal SATA and eSATA seem to be working fine. I can't figure out what device the "Serial ATA Controller" is for. There is no information model number, manufacturer, etc.

I have even tried downloading and installing the drivers for the Startech card but none of them seem to work with that card even though it is the file they say to download for that card. But, the card shows under "Storage Controllers" as Silicon Image SiI 3232 SATALink Controller.

Does any one have any idea how I can identify what this is for? So that I can track down a driver for it? As far as I know nothing else I have installed uses SATA.

Robert
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Device Manager Driver Problem...

Post by Skippman »

Stupid question, but have you tried uninstalling it and see if that makes a diffrence? Sometimes uninstalling the device and letting Windows rediscover it fixes these issues.
Robert Barnett
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Device Manager Driver Problem...

Post by Robert Barnett »

Yes, I tried that. Still no go and it doesn't provide any more information then than it did before. I wish Microsoft would have Windows provide more information. I mean really how hard would that be. Even a manufacturers code you could look up on the internet or something would be helpful.

Robert