ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme Motherboard Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 LGA 1366 motherboard was deisgned to be the ultimate gaming/overclocking platform for the Intel Core i7 processor series. Based on the Intel X58 chipset, the Asus Rampage II Extreme supports Intel's new QuickPath Interconnect, 12GB of DDR3 triple-channel memory, and multiple graphics cards!

Article Title: ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme Motherboard Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/933/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $398.99 shipped at Newegg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ASUS Rampage 2 Extreme Motherboard Review

Post by Skippman »

Excellent review Brian! Thanks! Looks like ASUS resolved one of my main complaints about the P5W, namely putting any connectors in the center of the board (like the SATA connector on mine).

This beast is on my list for the next build. This, a Corsair HX1000, and thier new case will be the basis.

Did you mess with the onboard RAID contoller at all? I'm wondering how it will handle RAID 10.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

For the daily stuff I've got a pair of WD 640GB Black drives in RAID 0 and performance is as expected. From what I have read and seen the ICH10R is solid until you start building a serious disk subsytem. Do not expect anything higher than 620MB/s read or write, but you should be looking at a discrete card if you are looking for that kind of performance, and especially for using SSD's in RAID.

While this board is great, it would be tough to justify it over a vanilla P6T at nearly half the price.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Thanks for the review. I really like the layout of this board.

I know this isn't a cooler review, but do you have any temps one your 4.00GHz overclock? Thanks.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I love the board...looks like a mini city inside the case with all the lights..My only small issue, is that the top pci-e port, its somehwat blocked im use by the heatsink of the chipset.the supremeFX fits perfectly, but if you want somethin like an x-fi titanium there, you're gonna have to bend some fins or cut them to fit..i haven't seen it affect cooling performance though
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Nice review and great overclocking. Always a great board to see, a damn shame it is a lofty $400. Would have to say it is hard to warrant purchasing this board unless you are doing some hardcore overclocking. So glad they moved the Extreme OC panel.
3DMark06 Addict

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What am I looking at there? I saw no mention of it in the article.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Major_A wrote:Image

What am I looking at there? I saw no mention of it in the article.
It was mentioned here.
Brian wrote:One right side of the board we have the now familiar overclock toggle switch. The power button, reset, and toggle are all carried over from the original Rampage Extreme. Note that these switches can be disabled in the BIOS if you do not plan to use them, though when shooting for a quick overclock or pushing every last MHz without rebooting the added controls really help.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Thanks for sharing. Either I'm blind or dyslexic but I didn't see it in the article.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Major_A wrote:Thanks for sharing. Either I'm blind or dyslexic but I didn't see it in the article.
Posslbiy lysdexic. :)