ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U External DVD-RW USB 2.0 Slim Drive

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U Diamond slim USB DVD was created as a stylish accessory to the innovative ASUS Eee Top. With its vertical mount and small footprint, it can fit almost anywhere and helps to prevent a cluttered workspace. Read on to see if it performs as well as it looks!

The ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U offers consumers and professionals a complete DVD portable design burning solution. The stylish and attractive DVD burner utilizes the high-speed USB 2.0 interface with the ability to record on 8X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-R and 5X DVD-RAM and access 8X DVD-ROM and 5X DVD-RAM formats.
Article Title: ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U External DVD-RW USB 2.0 Slim Drive
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/932/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $64.99 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U External DVD-RW USB 2.0 Slim Drive

Post by gwolfman »

Isn't the second connector on the y-connector only used if one USB port can't provide enough power? I have a similar one in addition to external 2.5" HDD enclosures and I only need to use the y-connectors on my really old laptop (8+ years) because the USB spec back then didn't provide the same current that today's spec calls for. One connector is power+data and the other one is just (additional) power. So this should work with only one USB connection on practically all new machines, right? Or am I mistaken?
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

gwolfman wrote:Isn't the second connector on the y-connector only used if one USB port can't provide enough power? I have a similar one in addition to external 2.5" HDD enclosures and I only need to use the y-connectors on my really old laptop (8+ years) because the USB spec back then didn't provide the same current that today's spec calls for. One connector is power+data and the other one is just (additional) power. So this should work with only one USB connection on practically all new machines, right? Or am I mistaken?
According to the Quick Installation Guide that ASUS includes with the SDRW-08D1S-U External DVD-RW drive,
The bundled USB Y cable comes with two USB connectors and one mini-USB connector. We recommend that you connect both USB connectors to two USB ports on your computer for sufficient power supply. For some computers that cannot provide sufficient power, you may need an extension cable. The extension cable is purchased separately.
Since you brought it up, for curiosity's sake I pulled the drive out of the box and hooked it up to my 3-year old HP Pavillion dv6000 with just one USB connector and put in the movie 300. Yes, it worked just fine.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Amy wrote:
gwolfman wrote:Isn't the second connector on the y-connector only used if one USB port can't provide enough power? I have a similar one in addition to external 2.5" HDD enclosures and I only need to use the y-connectors on my really old laptop (8+ years) because the USB spec back then didn't provide the same current that today's spec calls for. One connector is power+data and the other one is just (additional) power. So this should work with only one USB connection on practically all new machines, right? Or am I mistaken?
According to the Quick Installation Guide that ASUS includes with the SDRW-08D1S-U External DVD-RW drive,
The bundled USB Y cable comes with two USB connectors and one mini-USB connector. We recommend that you connect both USB connectors to two USB ports on your computer for sufficient power supply. For some computers that cannot provide sufficient power, you may need an extension cable. The extension cable is purchased separately.
Since you brought it up, for curiosity's sake I pulled the drive out of the box and hooked it up to my 3-year old HP Pavillion dv6000 with just one USB connector and put in the movie 300. Yes, it worked just fine.
Thanks for the follow up. That's what makes this site so great. Responses are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work! :supz:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

$65! You can buy a 22X burner and an IDE to USB adapter for half that price.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Major_A wrote:$65! You can buy a 22X burner and an IDE to USB adapter for half that price.
True. Very true. But if you needed to carry one along for your netbook, that would be bigger than the netbook itself. Kind of defeats the purpose.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

It's not expensive for a slim DVD burner. I remember the internal Samsung burner I bought cost me $55. An extra $10 for the enclosure doesn't sound bad at all.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

hnzw_rui wrote:It's not expensive for a slim DVD burner. I remember the internal Samsung burner I bought cost me $55. An extra $10 for the enclosure doesn't sound bad at all.
Good point
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

gwolfman wrote:
Major_A wrote:$65! You can buy a 22X burner and an IDE to USB adapter for half that price.
True. Very true. But if you needed to carry one along for your netbook, that would be bigger than the netbook itself. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Well I carry mine around in a backpack so it's not that big of a deal. If you are going to be using a netbook/laptop for any length of time you will need to plug it into the wall anyway. Maybe I look at function over form, or I'm just cheap.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Plus yours would work a whole lot faster than these laptop ones.