Intel DX58SO X58 Express Chipset Motherboard Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Intel Desktop Board DX58SO is designed to use the Intel Core i7 processors with support for up to eight threads of raw CPU processing power, triple channel DDR3 memory and full support for ATI CrossfireX technology. Intel's flagship X58 Express chipset comes packaged on an attractive board, but does the performance match its looks?

The Intel DX58SO motherboard was just an awesome board to work with. It made the transition to Core i7 easy and enjoyable. We had absolutely no issues at all using the board. It met all expectations that one would have with an Intel board. As we looked at performance on this board it was very good, and it shows how much promise there is with the X58 express chipset and the Core i7 CPU. If you are looking for a power boost in performance, you will find it here!
Article Title: Intel DX58SO X58 Express Chipset Motherboard Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/962/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel DX58SO X58 Express Chipset Motherboard Review

Post by GI-JOE »

I'm still perplexed why Intel only put 4 dimm slots on this board.... :-k
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

GI-JOE wrote:I'm still perplexed why Intel only put 4 dimm slots on this board.... :-k
Being the flagship board, I would expect 6. I guess with 3GB sticks, it still gets you to 12GB so that's enough for most.
Joe
Dr_b_
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Dr_b_ »

There are a few things problematic with the board that are missing from the review:

The review states SLI support, the board does NOT support SLI. This is a fairly egregious error. Intel and nvidia are suing eachother and don't ever expect a BIOS upgrade to fix that. if you even think you may want SLI some time in the future, do NOT buy this board.

There are a lot of issues with this board besides that, which the review didn't really mention. 4 DIMM slots in a 3-channel system? What exactly am I supposed to put in the 4th DIMM slot, and to what end?

What about the placement of the SATA connecters, 4 of which you won't be able to use without special Left angle connectors if you do use X-fire? Lastly, any serious overclocker isn't going to consider a board that lacks the depth of options and quality parts (all solid state caps anyone?) present on competitors mainboards. This board may be branded "INTEL" but it is most likely OEM'd part from Taiwanese manufacturer, possibly the likes of Foxcon.

No offense to legit reviews, but this review was total fluff.

-Dr_b_
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

When are i7 board prices going to come out of the Stratosphere? The most I've ever paid for a motherboard was $190 and that was a long time ago. Ironically it was also one of the worst motherboards I've ever purchased, lesson learned. Since then you can find boards for reasonable prices that do almost everything a high end board will do.

How Intel branded boards have changed. Back in the day there was no section in the BIOS for overclocking. I guess if you can't beat the competition join them.
Lithotech
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Lithotech »

I must agree with Dr B. I cannot blame the messenger on this (the reviewer)!

About the only thing I like about the board is it's placement of the EPS 8 pin connection -- finally, one that isn't as far away as possible from the PSU or other lines coming into the board. This is emmediately nullified by the insane location of the 4pin molex connection. Oh, how we love to have Molex cables running over top of our motherboards! NOT!

Comparing it to the ASRock is good, considering it is one of the poorest performers out there it makes the Intel board look good.

Sata ports are rediculous, when will board makers figure out that they need to point to the side to allow connecting a data line without interferance?

The RAM slot placement looks like it will be a problem with many large heatsinks, although perhaps not since the first slot will never be used.

Most of the CAPs on the board are not solid. These days, at the prices these boards are going for, one would expect (and shop for) all solid caps!

Overclocking was decent, but nothing spectacular.

There are no other unique features such as onboard power and reset buttons, cmos clear, POST codes, etc.

Overall, this seems to be a very plain board. I simply cannot fathom why anyone would buy it.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

While I agree that it's not the greatest board, I am somewhat tickled on how some are really hurt by expecting more from Intel on this board. Only fluff on here was the board, not the reviewer. Flagship or not, I honestly look at this as nothing more than a reference board.(Why else have only 4 DIMM slots? lol) Nice review regardless dude.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro