OCZ Vertex EX Series 120GB SLC SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The OCZ Vertex EX 2.5” Solid State Drives use SLC NAND Flash and are designed to meet the stringent demands of server environments and enterprise applications. As a result these next-generation drives feature speeds of up to a 260MB/s read and 210MB/s write to bring you insane system responsiveness and data access!

Article Title: OCZ Vertex EX Series 120GB SLC SSD Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/988/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $1299.99 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OCZ Vertex EX Series 120GB SLC SSD Review

Post by Illuminati »

Very nice review... Now to just solve the issue of performance degradation so we get the advertised speeds $1299 pays for! :shock:
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Wow, very nice. So who wants to buy me one? Thanks for the review!

Btw, the pictures on page 9 are swapped.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Now the question is... how long will it take for performance to degrade when running an OS on it daily
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Zertz wrote:Now the question is... how long will it take for performance to degrade when running an OS on it daily
Once I get the firmware v1.20 from OCZ I plan on flashing the drive... updating a few of the benchmark results and finding that out. I think Everest is the main issue with the drive performance... If you look at the Everest Linear Write chart you can see performance just getting killed during that benchmark and after that the drive is fubar. I'm not sure that Everest Disk Benchmark is even worth including anymore to be honest with you guys/gals.
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Apoptosis wrote:
Zertz wrote:Now the question is... how long will it take for performance to degrade when running an OS on it daily
Once I get the firmware v1.20 from OCZ I plan on flashing the drive... updating a few of the benchmark results and finding that out. I think Everest is the main issue with the drive performance... If you look at the Everest Linear Write chart you can see performance just getting killed during that benchmark and after that the drive is fubar. I'm not sure that Everest Disk Benchmark is even worth including anymore to be honest with you guys/gals.
Not if it'll junk your SSDs. I think the other benchmarks you select are enough to cover what Everest shows.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Great review but a damn shame the drive was utterly destroyed at the end of it. This whole TRIM garbage is nuts, the firmware should scan for degradation and repair automatically in the background.
3DMark06 Addict

FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Gomeler wrote:Great review but a damn shame the drive was utterly destroyed at the end of it. This whole TRIM garbage is nuts, the firmware should scan for degradation and repair automatically in the background.
It's a little more complex than that but soon they will support native TRIM in Win 7 so it will be a moot point.
Joe
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

FZ1 wrote:
Gomeler wrote:Great review but a damn shame the drive was utterly destroyed at the end of it. This whole TRIM garbage is nuts, the firmware should scan for degradation and repair automatically in the background.
It's a little more complex than that but soon they will support native TRIM in Win 7 so it will be a moot point.
But only with a firmware update for the drive to support TRIM so the OS can use it... Oh, and the firmware update will destroy all data on the drive, so it will still be a daunting task for some.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

agreed... and for an enterprise/server application it would be a huge issue... We've talked a lot about trim support on Windows, but what about linux? I have a good feeling that many buying this drive will run it under Linux 64-bit rather than a Windows based OS.
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Apoptosis wrote:agreed... and for an enterprise/server application it would be a huge issue... We've talked a lot about trim support on Windows, but what about linux? I have a good feeling that many buying this drive will run it under Linux 64-bit rather than a Windows based OS.
good point, especially the enterprise-class computing this drive is targeted towards
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Illuminati wrote: Oh, and the firmware update will destroy all data on the drive, so it will still be a daunting task for some.
Not true with the latest firmware updates.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I think he was talking in reference to this specific drive. Going from FW v1.11 to v1.20 will wipe all the data.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Apoptosis wrote:I think Everest is the main issue with the drive performance... If you look at the Everest Linear Write chart you can see performance just getting killed during that benchmark and after that the drive is fubar. I'm not sure that Everest Disk Benchmark is even worth including anymore to be honest with you guys/gals.
I'm pretty sure any write benchmark will kill the drive's performance or it might just be the way Everest works... The software writes a bunch of small files all around the drive and with the way SSDs work it's to be expected it will happen.

Hopefully we're not expecting too much out of TRIM and it really fixes this major issue.