Koolance CPU-LN2 Liquid Nitrogen Evaporator

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Koolance CPU-LN2 is a "DIY" processor evaporator pot for liquid nitrogen or dry ice cooling. It features a nickel-plated solid copper cold plate that has been combined with a black acetal upper container. Read on to see how this extreme cooler does with DICE and LN2!

The times are a-changin'. In the past for extreme overclocking cooling solutions your options were rather limited. You could pay an arm and a leg to a machine shop to make a one-off pot or turn to the handful of pot makers and wait till they had another batch complete. With Koolance things have been simplified to directing your browser to Koolance.com and swiping(typing in) your credit card. Within a week you could be up and running, easily pushing your processor beyond what is possible with air, water, or simple phase change cooling systems. Koolance's CPU-LN2 is a nickle plated copper pot designed to be used with dry ice and liquid nitrogen for extreme overclocking

Article Title: Koolance CPU-LN2 Liquid Nitrogen Evaporator
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/987/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $144.99
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Koolance CPU-LN2 Liquid Nitrogen Evaporator

Post by Major_A »

Very cool. It's not everyday that you see a website actually test one of these products. And thanks for your candor in the LN2 section.
skier

Post by skier »

its too bad a "CPU-LN2" cooler doesnt suffice for LN2, but as you said, it has a very thin base, and less surface area, they should have marketed this as a Dry Ice cooler.

good read :supz:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

I honestly am shocked at how bad it was at LN2 benching. Holding it in my hand, it has has enough weight but I think the issue is a lot of this weight is on the outside of the base. It feels as if they didn't even test the base on LN2 #-o

Here is the base of the K|ngp|n Dragon Evo 2.2, similar minimum base height but much more surface area close to the base. Unlike the CPU-LN2 which has 2 milled steps ~1.5 inches from the base, the Evo 2.2 has a bunch of milled steps right on the base. If I had a CNC machine with an endmill I'd really like to shave the two outer rings down on the CPU-LN2 and mill the rings down to the base with a short step in between.

3DMark06 Addict

skier

Post by skier »

Gomeler wrote:I If I had a CNC machine with an endmill I'd really like to shave the two outer rings down on the CPU-LN2 and mill the rings down to the base with a short step in between.
Do it!
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

lol. Is there a practical point to extreme overclocking other than for testing/benchmarking/bragging purposes?

I'm all for overclocking for free power, but when maintaining that overclock costs more than the amount of power gained. Well that's just impractical :axe:
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Nobahar wrote:lol. Is there a practical point to extreme overclocking other than for testing/benchmarking/bragging purposes?

I'm all for overclocking for free power, but when maintaining that overclock costs more than the amount of power gained. Well that's just impractical :axe:
Drag racing and road racing are also impractical. We do it for the fun :supz:
3DMark06 Addict