ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Seashell Netbook Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Seashell Netbook Preview

Post by Apoptosis »

ASUS has been a dominating player in the netbook market with their well-established Eee PC line. In this economy, being able to purchase a portable PC for less than $400 is a welcome option for those already pinching pennies. ASUS has shipped us their latest Seashell Eee PC, the 1005HA. Sporting a 10.5 hour battery life, an Intel Atom N280 processor and a multi-touch trackpad, the 1005HA could be one of the best netbooks on the market.

The box that the EeePC 1005HA-PU1X (Seashell) comes in has a picture of the netbook lying in sand next to a seashell, which goes along with the theme. When I first looked at the box, I thought the seashell was a wireless mouse, which would have been unique to have a seashell-shaped mouse to go along with the Seashell netbook...
Article Title: ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Seashell Netbook Preview
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/1014/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $379.99 plus shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: ASUS Eee PC 1005HA Seashell Netbook Preview

Post by jakegub »

On that first page, it says the 1005HA has an Intel Atom N280 @1.60 Ghz. Isn't the N280 a 1.66Ghz processor or do I have that wrong?
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yes that is a typo and I just fixed it.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I'm a little diappointed in the review. I don't know if there were time constraints or other factors but it seems odd to only have a 2 page review on a complete system. There's no mention of the monitor quality, speed, or most importantly actual battery life. It's rated at 10+ hours but what was actually achieved?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Skippman wrote:I'm a little diappointed in the review. I don't know if there were time constraints or other factors but it seems odd to only have a 2 page review on a complete system. There's no mention of the monitor quality, speed, or most importantly actual battery life. It's rated at 10+ hours but what was actually achieved?
Notice it says "preview", not "review" ;)
Joe
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

FZ1 wrote:Notice it says "preview", not "review" ;)
That's funny..I caught myself thinking it said review also until I looked again after you mentioned it :lol: I just woke up though
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Is this going to be another one of those video reviews?

Also I read elsewhere that it's possible to triple boot certain netbooks. Is it possible to do that with 1005HA?
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

geokilla wrote:Is this going to be another one of those video reviews?

Also I read elsewhere that it's possible to triple boot certain netbooks. Is it possible to do that with 1005HA?
Multibooting is only limited to the bootloader used, not the hardware.
3DMark06 Addict

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It was my idea to do the preview here is why...

We get the netbook for a 30-day loaner period... Justin/Amy get the notebook use it for 30 days and post the review the 4 or 5th week after we get it. By doing the preview it gets content up the first week they have the netbook... Then the full normal review will be published in ~3 weeks. It seems to me that the site is losing traffic by holding something for 30 days... For example the 1005HA is the number one selling netbook on Amazon.com right now... in 3 weeks it likely won't be.

What do you guys think? Previews or just stick to full reviews? I asked them to do a preview as it brings you guys more content faster and will hopefully generate more traffic, which will help the site grow. Lots of hardware sites have started doing unpacking reviews and videos, so we aren't the only ones trying this out.
Follow Me on Twitter!
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I like the Preview. It makes sense to wait on the review since there are things that won't be come up in an out-of-the-box review.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I think previews are a good idea, as long as you can make it more obvious it's a preview (I missed this fact when reading too :P)

Maybe start the review title as "Preview: " instead of it being at the end where everyone has switched off as they expect it to read "review".

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

DMB2000uk wrote:I think previews are a good idea, as long as you can make it more obvious it's a preview (I missed this fact when reading too :P)

Maybe start the review title as "Preview: " instead of it being at the end where everyone has switched off as they expect it to read "review".

Dan
+1

I actually thought this was a slipshod review until someone pointed out to me that this is, in fact, a preview.

To be honest there doesn't seem to be any computer hardware coming out right now that I'm particularly excited about. I was excited about the Corsair case coming out and the possiblity of building an i7 machine in it but I've not seen or heard anything else on that case since it's initial sneak peak. There's not even really any PC games out right now that I'm excited about. It seems like unless you play a MMO, there's not really any PC games for you. This is probably due to the summer months. Which is ok as it leaves me more money to spend on my Jeep.