Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Water Cooling Kit Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The recently released Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU water cooling kit is aimed at bringing water cooler to the mainstream computer user. Will the much anticipated successor to the old Nautilus 500 system have enough spunk to get the job done against more than a dozen other Intel Core i7 coolers on our LGA 1366 test platform?

Article Title: Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Water Cooling Kit Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/1025/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Water Cooling Kit Review

Post by werty316 »

Wow :shock: the H50 has really surprised me. Great review and great results.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Interesting. How was the sound of the pump and stock fan?
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

I use a Domino self contained water cooler in my 1366 rig and at stock 920 speed I haven't seen idle temps higher than 36 or load temps higher than 57. That's in an Antec 1200 with pleanty of air flow and replacing the thermal paste that came already on the Domino with Arctic Silver Ceramique.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

gwolfman wrote:Interesting. How was the sound of the pump and stock fan?
in the case it wasn't all that noticeable, even with it on top of the desk. I ball park it mid high 20's dBa for the fan, slight hum for the pump.
Sowser wrote:I use a Domino self contained water cooler in my 1366 rig and at stock 920 speed I haven't seen idle temps higher than 36 or load temps higher than 57. That's in an Antec 1200 with pleanty of air flow and replacing the thermal paste that came already on the Domino with Arctic Silver Ceramique.
Yup getting the air flow right is the key. My Ultra isn't the best flowing case in the world, but way better then most, no where near the 1200 though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

gwolfman wrote:Interesting. How was the sound of the pump and stock fan?
I checked with Corsair and the fan is 29.75 dB(A) at full speed. As for the water pump they tested it internally and said they room they tested it in had a noise floor of 21dBA and the pump was at 28dBA. So the pump is below the fan noise level if they remember correctly.
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

For the price, this isn't bad at all.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Awesome!

Curiosity - did you ever try to change the fan direction flow to the normal (out the back) ? If so, did it make a difference? 2 fans in the same config, blowing out?

I actually yelled at my monitor - NOOOOO - when I saw you took it apart :( Is it still able to be used? if not, what liquid is inside?

Mike

With the extra cost of the fans, it is neat to have, but it would only save a bit of noise, if any, compared to one of the high end air coolers :(
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Should have spent my money on this instead of the hunk of **** I have now.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about21686.html

I wonder if you used 38MM thick fans rather than 25MM if the results would improve? Don't the thicker fans produce more pressure? In turn wouldn't the added pressure help to get the fan's air through the crowded radiator core? I have a few Scythe Ultra Kaze fans and at even low RPM they throw a lot of air.
HACKhalo2
Legit User
Legit User

Post by HACKhalo2 »

It would of been nice to see it tested against the Sythe Mugen 2, but all in all a very informative article.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I asked Scythe if they would be interested in sending over the Scythe Mugen 2, so if they are we'll be sure to review it and add it to the chart.
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

KnightRid wrote:Awesome!

Curiosity - did you ever try to change the fan direction flow to the normal (out the back) ? If so, did it make a difference? 2 fans in the same config, blowing out?

I actually yelled at my monitor - NOOOOO - when I saw you took it apart :( Is it still able to be used? if not, what liquid is inside?

Mike

With the extra cost of the fans, it is neat to have, but it would only save a bit of noise, if any, compared to one of the high end air coolers :(
When I had the dual NF-P12's they are exhausting the air from the case, so not only is it pulling air out of the case, its pulling air across the block/pump. I'm thinking this is what helped get the better performance.

I did also install the stock fan in an exhaust config, temps were very similar with only half degree difference.
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

bubba wrote:I did also install the stock fan in an exhaust config, temps were very similar with only half degree difference.
Similar to what? The single fan numbers or the dual fan push/pull setup?
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

my bad, stock single fan.
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote:my bad, stock single fan.
Nice - really interesting that it didnt make much of a difference - hmm

Thanx for the info!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm sorry if I missed this in the article but is there a reason why Corsair is stating such stringent stipulations on how you install the unit? It goes against everything we know pulling air into the case from the rear case fans.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Major_A wrote:I'm sorry if I missed this in the article but is there a reason why Corsair is stating such stringent stipulations on how you install the unit? It goes against everything we know pulling air into the case from the rear case fans.
Corsair stated to us that is how they wanted it tested, it also says to reverse the flow in the directions. If a company wants their product tested a certain way that is fine by me. Doing the push/pull testing was something that Corsair did not ask for and that we did on our weeks ago. We've been working on this review for nearly two months, but it got held up to some product revisions.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I was reading somewhere online about having the back fans blow INTO the case if you have a top fan for exhaust - dunno if that would work better or not, but it does seem counter productive to me.

Mike
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:I was reading somewhere online about having the back fans blow INTO the case if you have a top fan for exhaust - dunno if that would work better or not, but it does seem counter productive to me.

Mike
Yeah and many people are talking about the pros and cons of positive or negative air pressure inside a case... who knows on half of it.
Follow Me on Twitter!