NVIDIA Announces CUDA GPU Architecture - Fermi

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

NVIDIA today introduced its next generation CUDA GPU architecture, codenamed “Fermi” at the GPU Technology Conference in San Jose, California. Fermi is an entirely new from the ground-up design architecture and is said to be the foundation for the world’s first computational graphics processing units (GPUs)! Read on to see actual pictures of one of these cards!

Here is a great shot of Jen-Hsun Huang with an NVIDIA Tesla graphics card that was powered by a Fermi derived GPU to give you an idea of the size of the graphics card.
Article Title: NVIDIA Announces CUDA GPU Architecture - Fermi
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1100/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Re: NVIDIA Announces CUDA GPU Architecture - Fermi

Post by skier »

so this card is separate from the GT300 cards? if its the same i'd think you would have mentioned it
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Nice pix/shots, best I've seen yet on the Fermi. Btw, that die is HUGE!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

well it's 3am CST and it appears that the card that NVIDIA showed press wasn't a real working card at all...

Notice the 6-pin PCIe connector? It doesn't match up with the tracings on the PCB and there is a screw hole right in the middle of it...

Charlie broke the story and has more on it here - http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/ ... boards-gtc
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

As much as I hate to say this it sounds more like a desperate "Hey! We have a new GPU ready for assembly too!" from nVidia. The timing is to perfect with ATi just shipping the first batch of their 5870's. I'd have called total BS if this wasn't a a developers conference. :-k
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Apoptosis wrote:well it's 3am CST and it appears that the card that NVIDIA showed press wasn't a real working card at all...

Notice the 6-pin PCIe connector? It doesn't match up with the tracings on the PCB and there is a screw hole right in the middle of it...

Charlie broke the story and has more on it here - http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/ ... boards-gtc
Lolz, booo nVidia
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I had no idea Nvidia were so screwed with making this thing. They must be really really desperate to fake a card that badly.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jebo_4jc
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by jebo_4jc »

lol a terrible fake designed to steal the spotlight from AMD

Nice try nvidia

They could have just said "this is a non working mockup" and we would be happy....but representing this as a working sample is BS
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

That is disappointing.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Just because the card they showed wasn't a real working card, doesn't mean they don't have one. They may have used a dummy card for the press conference to guard against theft.
Joe
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

As much as I'm surprised, I'm really not. No matter what industry you're in you gotta save face if you absolutely have to maintain public image.

It'll be interesting to see if they trip over their toes to get something to market fast and screw up (*cough* AMD's Phenom CPUs) and then fix it with revisions (Phenom II) or if they just take their time and put the right cards out there. I think in all honesty they'll botch the cards that come out, but then recover to much acclaim.

Honestly though, even if Nvidia screws up so bad that they tank, I reeeeaally don't think that there's anyone else out there to step in and fill the void. Besides, ATI needs Nvidia to keep their swords sharpened. This is fun to watch though, isn't it? :axe:
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Apoptosis wrote:well it's 3am CST and it appears that the card that NVIDIA showed press wasn't a real working card at all...

Sniff. Sniff.

Smells like vaporware.

Teh F4|L, NVIDIA.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

You would think they would at least use a real PCB... They wouldn't even have to put the GPU or RAM chips on the PCB to make it look real. I think the main question raised is do they even have a real PCB... One would not think so given the now obvious flaws... so the next more important question is what was the demo running on?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
skier

Post by skier »

i want to see that pcb compared with ones of working cards, like the GTX 285, i mean, it MAY be a PCB that was working, and was blatantly chopped up just to show something different..poorly

and if they did have a working sample, why would they send out pictures of fakes to the press? i mean, its just pictures, they'd show it if they had it
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups