Power up issue- -board relatted?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Power up issue- -board relatted?

Post by srt »

Hi,
I recently began to get some faulty non start responses from the switch on my P180. It would fail to engage fully after several attempts and if held in (out of frustration) I got a screech! which made me release it quickly!! :shock:
I contacted Antec who firstly advised I swap over the switch with the re-set switch, this worked without problem so Antec sent me a new switch set (Very Good customer support and cannot fault :) )
Now today I receive the new switches but I don't want to begin to mess around fitting etc as I have a bad case of "flu" :vom:
I switch on as before but now the freeking re-set switch is acting in the same way --screeching included :x
I have contacted Antec for their thoughts but just wondered if this may have another explanation that someone here has heard of ?
Stuart.

Asus Rampage formula III. WD Raptor 600gb sata hdd+WD Raptor 300gb sata hdd+plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 6gb crucial ballistix ddr3, intel i7 950@ 3.07ghz ,Geeforce GTX 285 vid card, creative x-fi, Antec true blue 750+Antec P180.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Power up issue- -board relatted?

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Not sure if it's relatted, but it may be related. :lol:

Sorry, I had to. But seriously, I have a P180 and no problems. I couldn't say for sure. The only way is to install the new switch and see if it acts the same way.
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Have you tried powering on the mobo by just shorting the power headers? Test reset switch by using the same method. If it still doesn't power on properly, then the problem probably lies in your mobo and not the P180's switch. It's a good idea to test for POST before you put your parts inside the case. I test outside the case with the mobo atop the included foam and anti-static bag and a short piece of solid wire (left over from my basic electronics classes).

Also, consult your mobo's manual for the code to the beeps being emitted. It might just be because a part was loose or something.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

"Not sure if it's relatted, but it may be related."

Yeah like I said I have flu :oops:
You know when you see what you wrote glaring back at you is wrong and you cant get it back :cry:

Interestingly the reply from Antec advised about shorting out with screwdriver - - so thats one for latter when I feel better - otherwise I think I will really blow a fuse 8-[
Stuart.

Asus Rampage formula III. WD Raptor 600gb sata hdd+WD Raptor 300gb sata hdd+plextor sata cd/dvd writer, 6gb crucial ballistix ddr3, intel i7 950@ 3.07ghz ,Geeforce GTX 285 vid card, creative x-fi, Antec true blue 750+Antec P180.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

:shock: Don't let a screwdriver come anywhere near the thing. ashnzw_rui said use an old connector from an old computer case or something then touch the two wires together to see if it resets properly.

Just out of curiosity, how would I replace the front USB parts on my p180? My daughter broke one of em while goofing with her ipod and broke the plastic spacer that separates the ground from the power. Does Antec supply replacement parts for the USB?
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, I've used a screwdriver to short the on jumpers before now, so it's not as bad as you might think. Just touch the jumpers together, and pull away when the PC starts up.

My P180 button has survived a good year or so, so it could well be your motherboard.

I've had the front of my P180 off with modding it this past weekend, but I can't actually remember how the USB things are attached to the front of the case >_<
Maybe you should pop the front off (watch out for the plastic lug type latches on the inside) and have a look at it.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Heh, too easy to miss for my tastes. I've done some serious arc welding with AC and various metal objects. Not pretty :|

As for the USB, I had a look and it seems to be attached with two small screws. Tight fit. I just wonder if they sell a replacement kit or not.
srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Well here again :oops:
The earlier problem seemed to go away for some time and a new switch was not used- - - but it started again recently but before it got really bad the monitor was not being recognised on some several startups :(
Then today I fire up get a screech then nada :roll:
I now have this situation: Press start and just get a brief turn over of fans and blue light ( pc front ) comes on - then all dies - -then it flicks on again (blue light) and the fans come on and dies :cry:
Any ideas as to where I should look now?
Thanks again.
Stuart.

srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

BTW- - - I did the short wire in place of the pc switch and get same results :(
Stuart.

srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Again replying to own post :roll: I am begining to think this may be a power problem although I am not certain. Ive ordered a new supply unit from Antec - - a 750 true blue or something like that :roll: The reason for my thinking this is that the screech seems to come from the 880 gtx graphics/vid card and I read somewhere they are power hungry beasts and display this sound when power loss is felt! I also watched inside the case when I tried the shorting of the switch wire and found that when the green power to the board light was on there was also blinking green lights over by the lan board connector - - -these would settle down to solid light then when I shorted the switch the thing spun over all the fans except the 880 gtx which just about moved! I also noticed the green lights were a lot dimmer like they were low on juice to them.Then I flipped of the power switch on the Antec and back on again and the dam thing fired up but with nothing on the monitor and also the screech from the gtx :rolleyes: I did this several times with varying results and even got it to run without the screech but still no video - - monitor stayed in power save mode :(
So I thought bad thoughts and said wtf I may as well try the power supply first and if it isnt that then new mobo :cry:
I may be way off base with this thinking but will keep posted in any event O:)
This may well mean updating memory and cpu I guess so watch this space for next query regarding what to replace the mobo with #-o
Stuart.

srt
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by srt »

Well again in reply to my post :lol:
Its fixed and it was down to the power unit :evil:
Not three years old but I bought a new Antec trupower 750 blue and it fired up without any problem :)
I also have queried the situation with Antec in regard to warranty :|
So in case anyone else has issues with startups - - check power supply first :partyman:
Stuart.