Gogo Inflight Internet Speed Tested and Used

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Wi-Fi access on airplanes is quickly becoming the norm and at least 150 American Airlines planes now now offer the service. The wireless service that us being used on AA flights is called Gogo Inflight Internet and it turns a commercial airplane into a Wi-Fi hotspot! Read on to see how fast it is and if it works well.

We were able to recently try out the Gogo Inflight Internet service on an American Airlines flight from St. Louis (STL) to Los Angeles (LAX). The plane was a Boeing MD-80 (S80) airplane that was equipped with wireless service. We fired up our OCZ Neutrino netbook that was running Microsoft Windows 7 and easily found the Gogo Inflight Wireless network connection and connected to it...
Article Title: Gogo Inflight Internet Speed Tested and Used
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1101/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Re: Gogo Inflight Internet Speed Tested and Used

Post by skier »

i don't see how it could have been choppy at that speed, at 180k down and 30k up, i can watch HD videos with almost no waiting, and you were getting a meg down
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

skier wrote:i don't see how it could have been choppy at that speed, at 180k down and 30k up, i can watch HD videos with almost no waiting, and you were getting a meg down
Maybe at the spot in the flight it was slower than the hourly tests or something... Not sure, but it was indeed choppy even with the video being cached.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

is it sad that most of the speeds you were showing is the speed of my 30 dollar a month 1.5mb cable connection? Got to love living in a small town. Could it be you were sharing it with others? I might have missed that part of the review.
Tony
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Tony »

Aircell has problems between towers and its service is unpredictable. The signal is frequently lost because the tower is not in just the right location. As more people on the aircraft log on to the service; it slowes significantly. Aircell is also being sued for patent infringment. In a rush to install systems it did not use to the best technology and is alredy obsolete. I would elect to bring a movie with me and foget this service existed.
skier

Post by skier »

dgood wrote: Got to love living in a small town.
you. have. no. idea. unless your town is more than 2 hours from ANY city, and has less than 500 people living in it, then you may, but since you can get 1.5 down, you must be near something at the very least. here 768kbps down costs $99 with limited cable and phone
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
nivetha
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by nivetha »

Your information about the internet speed is fine.I am using dialup internet.I check my internet speed in the site http://www.ip-details.com/ its really fast.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

"content you browse may be visible to passengers around you"
:lol:
charlesacosta
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by charlesacosta »

I was excited to use GoGo Inflight Internet Service, since I'm on a plane up to four times a week. I mostly fly American Airlines and I had used the service several times. I finally decided to try the service out as a monthly subscription. After two months, I discovered that maybe 20% of the flights I took were outfitted for the service and it seems that when I was on a long flight that I really wanted to use the service, it would not be available on that flight (examples were DFW to/from PHL 0 for 4, DFW to/from BOS 1 of 2 and DFW to/from MIA 0 of 2).

So after paying $35 a month the first two months and only using the service maybe 1 out of every 5 flights, I decided to cancel the service as soon as I noticed I was being charged for a third month in advance. Now I'm sure somewhere buried in the legal jargon of the agreement I clicked on when I subscribed to the service it states that I have to give them some kind of notice to cancel, etc. But you would think that a new service like this that values their reputation, would accommodate a frequent flyer and say "We apologize you didn't find the service available as much as you have liked. We are working on outfitting planes as fast as possible. We will credit back this prepaid month of service back to you as a good will gesture in hopes that you return as a monthly subscriber when we have a greater number of planes outfitted with the service."

Unfortunately, this is not what I heard. Instead, the lady just said that they cannot credit me back my money for this coming month and that my monthly subscription will terminate towards the end of next month. She said she would send me some coupons. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she said that there are none available. I seriously doubt she made the effort to find one.

To say the least, I am very disappointed on how GoGo Inflight Internet Services treats its customers and how insensitive they are towards the situation that their service is not widely available. I would not recommend using their monthly subscription and would be beware if you have any issues with their service - they seem to have a "no refund policy" despite the legitimacy of your claim.
anony_mous
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by anony_mous »

Deceitful Billing – Your online account status does not show if it is “auto-renewing” or not. And there is now way to cancel subscription online. Furthermore, the “purchase history” tab of the online account does not show subsequent payments for auto-renewing accounts after the initial payment. Thus, the only way for the customer to discover that he is being charged is to see it on his credit card statement.

This lack of transparency in customer accounting is a clear divergence from the norms of e-business. I foresee a large Class Action Lawsuit in the horizon if this practice is allowed to continue.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

This is why I like to pay with credit cards, if you contest the situation they can rule in your favor and refund your money and take it out of the offenders' asset account.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: