NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 Video Card Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 Video Card Preview

Post by Apoptosis »

The GeForce GT 240 is NVIDIA’s latest performance-class GPU that can be picked up for under $99. With 96 processor cores and with a frame buffer of either 512MB or 1024MB these little budget cards should perform pretty well, but obviously still lack support for DirectX 11. Read on to see what one of these cards will get you in our preview.

The GeForce GT 240 is NVIDIA’s latest performance-class GPU that enables the mainstream PC to become vastly more functional and enjoyable. Compared to PCs using integrated graphics that struggle with today’s increasingly graphical and GPU-computing workloads, systems outfitted with GT 240 offer great general gaming performance, Power Gaming (PhysX acceleration + 3D Vision), and GPU Computing at under $99.

With the addition of a GeForce GT240, a PC can also provide smooth HD video playback from Bluray, DivX, and Flash 10.1 sources, while also facilitating seamless HD video creation and editing.

The concept of Power Gaming is more than just high performance graphics. Gamers using a GeForce GT 240 can enjoy the latest games with PhysX and 3D Vision for a truly immersive gaming experience.
Article Title: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 Video Card Preview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1138/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 Video Card Preview

Post by DeusEx »

Very disappointed in this review. I have followed LR for a few years now and i always thought you guys tried to remain as impartial as possible.

The comparison is between Nvidia gt 240 and Ati 4670. The Gt 240 wins the benchmarks by 5-10 FPS in most of the games where both cards were benchmarked (A few games showed a bigger FPS difference of 15-20 on top of the Ati Card). Nate you advise people to go and buy the GT240 but fail to mention in your review that the ATI 4670 Is currently going for 45$ SHIPPED. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121329).

So for more than twice the price, the GT 240 adds what in most cases turns out to be 5-10 FPS ? A more fair review would be to compare it to an HD 4850 which runs for $116 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). A $16 difference is more fair than a $55 difference dont you think? We wall know which card would win in that case.

The last paragraph of the review is insulting. It does not seem to be a good buy at all. I dont understand how you can urge your readers to go ahead and buy a card before you even had a chance to benchmark it... [-X
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Ummm... It's a preview, not a review.... I don't think LR did any testing on the cards.

The last sentence,
Legit Reviews will have a full fledged review of the GeForce GT 240 up on the site very very soon. Keep your eyes open for it.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DeusEx wrote:Very disappointed in this review. I have followed LR for a few years now and i always thought you guys tried to remain as impartial as possible.

The comparison is between Nvidia gt 240 and Ati 4670. The Gt 240 wins the benchmarks by 5-10 FPS in most of the games where both cards were benchmarked (A few games showed a bigger FPS difference of 15-20 on top of the Ati Card). Nate you advise people to go and buy the GT240 but fail to mention in your review that the ATI 4670 Is currently going for 45$ SHIPPED. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121329).

So for more than twice the price, the GT 240 adds what in most cases turns out to be 5-10 FPS ? A more fair review would be to compare it to an HD 4850 which runs for $116 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). A $16 difference is more fair than a $55 difference dont you think? We wall know which card would win in that case.

The last paragraph of the review is insulting. It does not seem to be a good buy at all. I dont understand how you can urge your readers to go ahead and buy a card before you even had a chance to benchmark it... [-X
Easy there! Like Brian said in his first paragraph:

"Just take a look at the following specs and information kindly provided by NVIDIA in their reviewers guide."

This was not a review or any testing done by us. Everything text wise other than the first and last paragraph was written by NVIDIA for their reviewers guide. They didn't get a card to us in time (it arrives tomorrow), so this was better than nothing.
Follow Me on Twitter!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

thoughts and conclusions page (last page) should be written by LR. It is very confusing when you have a paragraph written by a company under your "Thoughts and conclusions" page. How is it a conclusion or a thought if its not written by you?
skier

Post by skier »

Apoptosis wrote:Everything text wise other than the first and last paragraph was written by NVIDIA
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

if this paragraph was written by LR:

With specs like these and a great price to boot it's hard to walk away from a video card with this kind of performance for only $99. Whether you need a standalone card or a companion to your already existing card you really can't walk away from a deal like this. Well, what are you waiting for? Go out and get one for yourself. Or better yet, get one for yourself and a few for your friends and family for the holidays. Don't give me that "It doesn't come out until the 17th" stuff. Go wait in line in front of the store. Why are you still here? Well since you are still here, Legit Reviews will have a full fledged review of the GeForce GT 240 up on the site very very soon. Keep your eyes open for it.

Then this review is a big disgrace. Thats my opinion so no need to get all touchy-feely about it guys. And to set the record straight: I have owned 3 laptops, and currently have 1 desktop. Out of those machines 4 had Nvidia graphics cards and 0 had ATI. I just want sensible information, thats all.
skier

Post by skier »

one can't really give their opinion totally based on specs, and that is what this preview is, just sit tight and wait for the full-on review man, then you'll get some real numbers and opinions.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Apoptosis wrote:
DeusEx wrote:Very disappointed in this review. I have followed LR for a few years now and i always thought you guys tried to remain as impartial as possible.

The last paragraph of the review is insulting. It does not seem to be a good buy at all. I don't understand how you can urge your readers to go ahead and buy a card before you even had a chance to benchmark it... [-X
Easy there! Like Brian said in his first paragraph:

"Just take a look at the following specs and information kindly provided by NVIDIA in their reviewers guide."

This was not a review or any testing done by us. Everything text wise other than the first and last paragraph was written by NVIDIA for their reviewers guide. They didn't get a card to us in time (it arrives tomorrow), so this was better than nothing.
I'm kind of sitting on the same side of the fence the DeusEx is on this one. This clearly was 99% written by Nvidia and should have been posted up as a press release of internet news instead of a preview. I really don't know why the LR staff member's name was mentioned at the top of the article as almost all of the content was written by Nvidia.

After two pages or so of reading it starts to look like an official review with pictures of all the vendor cards and then benches.
BrianG
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by BrianG »

Just to clear some of this up.

I wrote the ENTIRE last page. It is my "Final Thoughts" that were written. At no time during the parts I wrote was I preferential to Nvidia or ATI. Saying it is a good deal and to go buy it does not constitute favoritism towards one card or another. It simply means, it sounds like a good deal.... go buy it. Nothing more nothing less.

I clearly stated that the material after the first paragraph was from the Nvidia Reviewers Kit and the article is clearly named as a "Preview" and not a "Review".

I do happen to think this is a good buy. If you cannot afford a second high caliber video card for your rig such as the GTX 275 that is used in the preview, a nice boost in FPS for a third of the cost of another GTX 275 seems like a good deal to me.

I did not review the ATI card or the Nvidia card and the benchmarks provided were from the Nvidia Reviewers Kit, not from LR. And to mention it again, this was stated at the start of the article.
HercTNT
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by HercTNT »

I also agree that this is poorly done. What it amounts to is an advertisement and not a preview. You did not need to show favortism one way or another, the end result was the same. Posting Nvidias pre made material, then qualifying it with your untested opinion does not seem to be on the level to me. If you truly believe its a good value thats fine, but how do you explain the huge price difference between the 4670 and the gtx 240 considering the small performance difference, then fit the term value into the equation, when it can clearly influence readers buying decisions. Previews are usually "Here is an up and coming product and a brief glimpse of what you can expect". A review is "I tested it, here is how it stacks up, and here is what i think about it".
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Guys, it's a PREVIEW. He is allowed to voice his subjective opinions based on the facts he has at hand. You are welcome to disagree with his opinion. These "release" articles are nothing new and are done on different sites all the time.
Joe
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

I take LR to be one of the most trusted websites for hardware reviews. I have for a long time. Maybe thats why i expect a lot from you guys. I see you have modified the preview to remove the recommendation to buy the card. =D> . I have a lot of respect for you guys for doing that.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yeah I removed that early this afternoon...

I've been so busy I didn't get a chance to read it as Brian wrote it and it went straight to the editor. After reading it and seeing the concerns here it was an easy call to strike that from a preview. It's one thing to say that after you've used a product and given it a review and it's another thing to say that after reading some marketing slides and getting brain washed with fud.

We are just now getting GT 240's in from various companies, so expect some real numbers and our own personal thoughts after using the card shortly.
Follow Me on Twitter!
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

I am more disgusted with nvidia, launching the cards today and not sending it out to LR to have it reviewed by the day of the launch. They seem to be the ones trying to deceive their customers.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

spitter wrote:I am more disgusted with nvidia, launching the cards today and not sending it out to LR to have it reviewed by the day of the launch. They seem to be the ones trying to deceive their customers.
agreed... I sourced some on my own from AIBs though, so we'll still have a review in due time.
Follow Me on Twitter!
HercTNT
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by HercTNT »

i apologize for coming across so harsh, and i applaud you for doing the right thing. After you review the card and you still recommend it, i will respect that.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

HercTNT i see you have only a few posts. You should consider coming to these forums more often, there is always something interesting going on here. :p
HercTNT
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by HercTNT »

Yes i am new to these forums, but not new to legit reviews. I have a long list of review sites that i go to when i want a broad opinion on something that i want to buy. Except for the matter thats already behind us, i have a favorable opinion of LR and will poke around from time to time.