Gunnar Optiks Wi-FIVE Digital Performance Eyewear

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Gunnar Optiks claims reduction of eye fatigue, added clarity and mitigation of dry eye with their stylish digital performance eyewear. We test drive the Wi-FIVE model eyewear to see if they can deliver on these claims or if it's all hype.

People are spending an ever-increasing amount of time in front of computer screens as our lives become more intertwined with technology. This increase correlates to an increase in health hazards from repetitive motion injuries, neck and back problems, and eye strain. Gunnar has recognized this and has put together a diverse product line dedicated to mitigating the strain we are putting on our eyes with some of their special lens and optic technologies. They sent us over a sample pair of their Wi-FIVE digital performance eyewear from their Catalyst collection to see how effective we felt they were. For $99, if they work as advertised, they should be well worth the investment.

Article Title: Gunnar Optiks Wi-FIVE Digital Performance Eyewear
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1224/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gunnar Optiks Wi-FIVE Digital Performance Eyewear

Post by DMB2000uk »

Does the magnification not mess with your eyes after a bit?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had experience with these and what they thought.
Joe
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by djpinc19 »

my first impression: form and function. while the tint may make your friends think this lies between shades and glasses, the shape of the frame is quite fashionable. i wonder if my insurance will pay for this.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I've got some, but wasn't so sure they were helping my eyes.

I chalked it down to the magnification factor, and kind of stopped using them partly because I wasn't convinced of their effectiveness at reducing fatigue, and partly in fear that they'd make my eyes lazy (by getting used to reading everything at 1.25x), but this review made me decide to grab them again and go for a second try.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Dan, the ones I used didn't indicate that they had any magnification at all. Maybe that was the problem, the ones you had did? These are "NEO-scopic" so they are "tuned for close viewing applications". I couldn't find any reference to magnification levels.
Joe
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Mine are also the Wi-Five model, albeit slightly older.

Now that I've looked, I actually can't find any definitive number on the magnification levels, so maybe I made up the figure, but they definitely have some level of magnification. Do yours not have any at all?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It's ever so slight. I even gauged it with a ruler by taking a pic looking half through the lens and half not and you couldn't really see a difference. I may still have the pic.
Joe
Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

I immediately ordered 2, one for myself and one for a widow I met online from Nigeria who recently got hold of the sum of 16 (sixteen) million dollars.

I hope you get my point here... There's one born every minute, actually I guess these days more than 5 are born every minute.

Here's an idea: homeshopping.legitreviews.com
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Wwhat wrote:I immediately ordered 2, one for myself and one for a widow I met online from Nigeria who recently got hold of the sum of 16 (sixteen) million dollars.

I hope you get my point here... There's one born every minute, actually I guess these days more than 5 are born every minute.

Here's an idea: homeshopping.legitreviews.com
If you are inferring we are schilling a product rather than giving an honest, unbiased review then I take offense to that. You are welcome to your opinions about the product (try using them before passing judgment) but please don't question mine, or any other reviewer's integrity. Verstehen Sie?
Joe
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Must've been one helluva Nigerian scam for her to have $16 million..I'm glad I never fell for that one
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

So you suggest people can't speak up when you move into questionable territory, and then speak german to me like the original people with such views?

Uhm.. WTF

I guess that's a joke then.

Anyway to put it in a way so people who aren't good with text can get it: I think only a gullible fool falls for this nonsense product, and I think taking it serious and so becoming part of the setup is questionable.
I will remain of this view for now.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Wwhat wrote:So you suggest people can't speak up when you move into questionable territory, and then speak german to me like the original people with such views?

Uhm.. WTF

I guess that's a joke then.

Anyway to put it in a way so people who aren't good with text can get it: I think only a gullible fool falls for this nonsense product, and I think taking it serious and so becoming part of the setup is questionable.
I will remain of this view for now.
You've obviously never used this product, and yet are willing to write it off and anyone that has used it (and especially in the case of LR, objectively tested it).

That's the real joke here.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Wwhat wrote:So you suggest people can't speak up when you move into questionable territory, and then speak german to me like the original people with such views?
You can question the validity/performance of the products until you are blue in the face - I couldn't care less. Just don't say or infer that are reviews are biased to help them sell product. It's not accurate and it's incredibly disrespectful.
Joe
Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

EDITED
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

none of that Wwhat...

I will not tolerate any personal attacks... Especially bringing up someones mom... Consider it your only warning on that kind of crap.

Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Wwhat wrote:EDITED
Jeez.. who put all the conflict in your cornflakes this morning? NDAs are necessary so we don't blab our mouth about all the hookers and blow the various companies provide us. I prefer the term pure as morning dew, snow implies cold and I don't particularly like the cold. Oh, and I don't know my mommy* :(

It is one thing to slam a product, I do it all the time. It is another thing to slam a person's integrity.

*-only one of those statements is true, lighten up, it is Monday :supz:
3DMark06 Addict

Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

I do actually not believe you got paid for this review (I'm trusting like that ;p), but I don't buy this 'we are so pure and anybody even remotely doubting us is outrageous' either, the thing with the NDA's is that you sign a paper and do a review but deliberately keep it from the readers until a enforced time, and if you don't sign you don't get a pre-release of the product and lose readership on release day, but if you are too severe in a review they might not offer you a NDA deal the next time either and you'd lose out on the people looking for reviews right after release, so the system corrupts for that reason, even if you don't want to you end up playing overly nice, and I only mention the NDA as an example of the legitreviews people not being that infallible as suggested.

I only felt this product is largely BS and i think taking it serious is pushing it and I don't think anybody would not, so not acknowledging that is also not honest, and this product is basically the same as those yellow glasses they sell to drivers on homeshopping networks and such venues, and yes there the salespeople get rewarded the more they BS people, and sure under certain circumstances yellow glasses do help a bit, but those are specific circumstances, and yeah by making them enlarge slightly you might get a fake 'hey this is interesting' effect, but giving all that some fancysounding ridiculous names is obvious nonsense and I think we all know that, and the article acted like the author did not, and I give him more credit than that by believing he does.

But it is also true I don't feel like all the nonsense in the world today, you might interpret it as moody.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

FYI - there was no NDA on this product (it had been out quite a while before we even received them) and many of the products reviewed have no NDA. No need if the product/info is already available to the public. In fact, I can't think of one product I have reviewed that I have received prior to it (or the data) being available publicly. :-k

Locking the thread for now. If anyone has anything constructive to add, PM me and I can re-open if needed.
Joe