ATI Catalyst 10.3a Driver Performance Benchmarking

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Late yesterday we got word that ATI would be coming out with a Catalyst 10.3 preview update driver that would increase the performance of more than a dozen PC games. We don't think it's a coincidence that this driver just happens to come out the week before the GeForce GTX 480 graphics card is due to launch at PAX East. Read on to see how Catalyst 10.3 drivers do in the benchmarks when we compare them to Catalyst 10.2 drivers on a Radeon HD 5870 graphics card!

After spending less than a day with the ATI Catalyst 10.3a drivers, it appears that they bring better performance to the majority of PC game titles that we tried them on. The only game title that we didn't see a performance improvement on was Batman: Arkham Asylum, but the performance hit wasn't even significant. In the other games that we benchmarked we got a small boost in performance, with the best performance gain seen coming from Tom Clancy's Hawx. Having a 19% performance gain in a game title from a driver update is amazing and something great to see. Speaking of sight, we also didn't notice any image quality differences, so it looks like ATI isn't cheating on the image quality to get better performances...

Article Title: ATI Catalyst 10.3a Driver Performance Benchmarking
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1253/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ATI Catalyst 10.3a Driver Performance Benchmarking

Post by Bwall »

Good stuff! Can't wait to get these loaded up, and really curious to see how well Fermi does against 5870 now.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Bwall wrote:Good stuff! Can't wait to get these loaded up, and really curious to see how well Fermi does against 5870 now.
yeah, go for it!

Here is the link to the download - http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tip ... eview.aspx
Follow Me on Twitter!
joe
Legit User
Legit User

Post by joe »

maybe they should work on fixing existing problems before they add 4% more FPS to older games.

for example, the biggest, newest PC game (Battlefield: Bad Company 2) is unplayable on ATI's best video card (radeon HD 5970) for a lot of people.

for example, here's a video showing flickering, which happens on every round on every map with my 5970:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5CxOBj2TGk
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

joe wrote:maybe they should work on fixing existing problems before they add 4% more FPS to older games.

for example, the biggest, newest PC game (Battlefield: Bad Company 2) is unplayable on ATI's best video card (radeon HD 5970) for a lot of people.

for example, here's a video showing flickering, which happens on every round on every map with my 5970:
Just bought a copy of Bad Company 2... Will let you know what I find out tomorrow.

You did a clean install of the OS and installed the ATI video card first? You didn't install both cards and get the OS dirty did ya?
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

joe wrote:maybe they should work on fixing existing problems before they add 4% more FPS to older games.

Have you tried 10.3a yet? If so and you still have problems how about disabling Crossfire until ATI releases the updated driver as quoted in the article? " During our conversation with AMD this morning, we also got a heads up that in the next few days an ATI Crossfire profile update is in the works for Battlefield2: Bad Company that will increase performance by up to 75%! "
This will likely remedy your stuttering issues.
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

I don't have any problems running bad company 2 and i don't have the 10.3a's yet. The download link don't work apparently.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

i lied the download is working now
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz