Overclocking the AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Processor

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overclocking the AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Processor

Post by Apoptosis »

Legit Reviews takes a closer look at the dual core 3800+ in an overclocking environment. While the majority of users will appreciate the benefits of dual core for under $375, the enthusiasts among us are looking to squeeze ever last bit of performance out of this processor.

With dual core ability, and overclocking well into the 4800+ range, the 3800+ is a great processor at a great price. Having said that, make sure you approach overclocking with caution, use common sense and take your time as a few extra minutes of testing may seem incredibly boring, it means the difference between a stable overclock, and possibly damaging your hardware
http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=229
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Very nice results! 8)
I'm just curious as to how you tested for stability. Did you just run all the benchmarks and if it doesn't crash during your benchmark suite you consider it stable?

It was also very interesting to see the difference in performance between the X2 4800 at 2.4Ghz and the X2 3800 at 2.4Ghz. Really points out the situations where a higher HTT speed helps versus the situations where more L2 cache helps!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I ran Super Pi to 32M, the full set of benchmarks three times, and played Far Cry for abour two hours.....so after a couple of days running at that voltage and timings, i considered it stable.
I personally don't use Prime95, it is a decent program, but I've seen it fail after a short peroid of time, and the system is completely stable otherwise, but to each their own, some people swear by it
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

capper5016 wrote:I ran Super Pi to 32M, the full set of benchmarks three times, and played Far Cry for abour two hours.....so after a couple of days running at that voltage and timings, i considered it stable.
I personally don't use Prime95, it is a decent program, but I've seen it fail after a short peroid of time, and the system is completely stable otherwise, but to each their own, some people swear by it
Cool, yeah, I would consider that stable too :)
Did you try higher speeds and get instability?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I could stabily go a bit higher, usually no higher than 2.72-2.75GHz, but the increase in voltage required to do so, as well as the heat, made it a worthless venture.
I've seen a few people take the 3800+ over 3.0GHz using a Vapochill or Prommie.
Last edited by LVCapo on Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

man, I'm impressed with the 3800+ results; to think it can hang right in there with the big daddy 4800+ is frickin sweet. And 354 dollars is much better than 1100, lol. Something to consider in the future, but gonna start small with a 3700+ San Diego.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Oh, ok, I gotchya. Yeah, I'm a little leery of putting 1.6v or more through my A64... That's why I am now trying my luck at undervolting :mrgreen:
Good results though, you can't complain with 2.7Ghz on a sub-$375 dual core processor!!!!! :drinkers:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

who would, lol. that's OC'ing on a budget there, with similar results to the 4800+; very nice :)
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

thats impressive overclocks for a dual core.. i am thinking about getting one myself ;)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Oh yeah, and the funny part is, even now, when you compare the price of a 3700+ San Diego to an X2 3800+, it's only a $50 difference or so, but I'm waiting for the price to come down just a little more so I can get a steal on it!! I'm pretty sure it'll drop dramatically with the advent of the Socket M2 processor, and that's when I'll make my move, unless I just get so antsy that I absolutely gotta get it, lol.
kopykat
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by kopykat »

Im considering setting up a system like this now.
I wanted to ask what memory modules did you use exactly, It wasnt exactly clear weather it was 1GB or 2x512mb and what exact module it was. Also I would want to know if there is any other modules you would recommend that you think might offer even better results in the big picture. I was thinking of perhaps getting a couple of these : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227203.
Also, I've heard that having 4x256mb wouldnt be as good as 2x512mb for an overclocking environment, is this true?
cause right now I have 4x256mb of CMX256A-3200XL.

Thanks.
PS
be nice, first post on this board :finga:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Your best bet is getting 2x512mb of the OCZ VX as long as you pair that with the DFI motherboard then your good to go, just plan on cooling the ram because your going to need to give it 3.2v or more.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I'm not a big fan of the OCZ VX. It is some really nice memory, but I worry about the long term effect running that stuff at 3.3 to 3.5 wil have on the modules as well as the board.
for the review, you should check out the first article, in it I explained what components i used, and the second article was simply a follow up.
I used Corsair's XMS 3200LL at 2-3-2-5. stuff runs awesome, overclocks like a champ and never needs more than 2.85V.
As Yves said, I'd really go for the 2x512MB kit, more than enough for anything right now..
I just got in a 2GB set of OCZ that runs at 2-3-2-5 and am going to start working on an article chronicling 1GB vs 2GB kits and their effect on performance....more specificially gaming.
BTW, New Egg has a great deal on that memory, $237 for a 2GB kit after a mail in rebate (not a plug, just where I bought mine).
kopykat
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by kopykat »

Thats interesting! When should we expect this article?
I am visiting the states next week for only a couple of weeks, so its my window of oppertuntie to upgrade my rigg for a reasonable price, so i wanna gather all the info i can before i make my order. :mrgreen:
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

i guess this will be a difficult question to answer with you not seeing my machine and experienceing it, but...
i have a x2 3800 with 2 gigs of ram (nothing too special,value ram) and the zalman heatsink with a abit av8. What would be the best settings???
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Dragon,
List your complete system specs and we'll be glad to help as much as possible. Every system is different, and what works well for one might not for others. We should be able to at least give you an idea of where to start.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

yeah after reading that guide i realized it is a lot harder than anticipated. I guess all i need is where to start. LOL because my ratios are locked cpu:agp:pci. I.E. 6.2.1 or something like that.

amd x2 3800
2x512 corsair value
2x512 some offbrand i got for free
ABIT AV8-3rd eye(i think) or just av8
ATI x850pro AGP

Normally i would have 2 36 raptors but abit and thier bios releases are giving me troubles.

here is what the bios looks like (not my system)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Your memory is definitely going to hold you back. I haven't tried using all four slots, but my thinking is you are at 2T, which is not worth the upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. So my suggestion, first one, is to pull two of those sticks out of the system, preferably the cheap stuff.... and increase that DDR voltage

I should think you can get about all the O/C you will out of that without pusghing the VCore past 1.4-1.45. 1.5 is a bit on the high end for air.
Something else. The CPU (3800+) is locked at 10X, so I'm really curious how you are getting an x11 multi.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

i dont know if you saw the note "not my system" but i just found a pic online and used that to show people what i am up against. LOL the reason for the extra gig was because bf2 kept crashing so i kind of needed it. LOL but thank you soo much so far for the help!!!
I figured my ram was going to be an issue and keep me from getting it all the way up there. (if i got better ram and kept the zalman cooler, could it be done???)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

DragonCooler wrote:i dont know if you saw the note "not my system" but i just found a pic online and used that to show people what i am up against. LOL the reason for the extra gig was because bf2 kept crashing so i kind of needed it. LOL but thank you soo much so far for the help!!!
I figured my ram was going to be an issue and keep me from getting it all the way up there. (if i got better ram and kept the zalman cooler, could it be done???)
Thats a crazy pic.....because the 3800+ doesn't have an x11 multiplier....I was going to tell you that thats your problem right there.