ADATA S596 128GB JMicron JMF612 SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The ADATA S596 128GB SSD featuring a JMicron JMF612 controller has shown up on our doorstep for a test run. We've seen this controller before in other models and have a good idea what to expect but changes to the firmware could make a significant difference in the overall drive performance. Read on to see how it fares against other big name SSD brands!

After provisioning and the nominal space set aside by Windows, we see the yield left for user space on the ADATA S596 is about 112GB which is not unusual for a drive with 128GB of onboard NAND. Provisioning assists with performance preservation and drive maintenance such as using these as replacements for blocks that eventually go bad. Performance on the ADATA S596 is actually a little better than we expected as it generally posted better results than other JMicron drives we have tested and rivaled drives with other controllers in some tests.
Article Title: ADATA S596 128GB JMicron JMF612 SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1340/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
forsooth
Legit User
Legit User

Re: ADATA S596 128GB JMicron JMF612 SSD Review

Post by forsooth »

Interesting review. The USB connection: does this mean that the drive can be used as an external USB drive right out of the box?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It does although it is complete overkill due to the limited bandwidth of USB 2.0.

When they have USB 3.0 ports on SSD's, that will be very nice.
Joe
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Interesting write-up. I've been highly interested in an SSD for a while, but I don't think I want to pony up the cash for one quite yet. This would be a contender of my choices, though!
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|