EVGA GTX 400 Series High-Flow Exhaust Bracket Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

EVGA recently announced that they have begun to sell their NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 Series High-Flow Video Card Exhaust Bracket that is said to lower GPU temperatures by up to 5C. Lowering your video card temperatures by up to 5C for under $10 doesn't sound like a bad idea. All you need to do is remove a few screws and the bracket can be switched out quickly without having to worry about voiding the cards warranty. The question that we have to figure out is if the NVIDIA reference design exhaust bracket really that restrictive?

Article Title: EVGA GTX 400 Series High-Flow Exhaust Bracket Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1355/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: EVGA GTX 400 Series High-Flow Exhaust Bracket Review

Post by XstollieX »

Interesting, I didn't think that it would be that restrictive expecially on auto fan settings. If you had your noise cancelling headphones on and ran the fan at 100% then I could see the stock bracket being more restrictive and increasing the temps more that way. Then the lower restriction of the EVGA bracket may help.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

One degree drop isn't worth purchasers' buying it separately (even just for S&H), but it is worth the manufacturers' adopting the design for future use since they can do so for no extra charge. A win-win for both parties.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Z999z3mystorys
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Z999z3mystorys »

EVGA has it's own stress test program, was thinking that might be worth trying to see if any difference in numbers, also if these where done at stock speeds and auto-fan, chances are it'd show the least difference compared to a overclocked version. I know this is a bracket however and doing a review on that is quite a bit, so no complaints here, just mentioning that other factors might impact results.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yup totally agree...

I figured it'd make a fun article and like you said no one else is likely to ever benchmark these like I did ;)
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I wonder if there is any reason they need those slots on the fan outlet; besides keeping idiots from sticking something in there.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I didn't expect much but I had hoped for better idle temps at least. May be better for SLI setups than a single GPU setup(considering my setup has the GPU's right on top of each other)
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
robert3892
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by robert3892 »

I recently installed the EVGA high flow bracket for the GTX 470 and I saw a temp drop of 5 degrees Celsius overall. I can't speak for the GTX 480 users.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Actually, I have to ask. Were you using the Extreme Burning Mode?
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

InspectahACE wrote:Actually, I have to ask. Were you using the Extreme Burning Mode?

In all honesty I wanted to make it the worst case scenario and if it would reduce the top end temperature at all.

Many ways to test it, but at the end of the day it took more than a full 8 hour work day just to run these tests in the chart... It is just a $5 bracket now ;)
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Apoptosis wrote:
InspectahACE wrote:Actually, I have to ask. Were you using the Extreme Burning Mode?

In all honesty I wanted to make it the worst case scenario and if it would reduce the top end temperature at all.

Many ways to test it, but at the end of the day it took more than a full 8 hour work day just to run these tests in the chart... It is just a $5 bracket now ;)
Well thanks for doing so!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Kaos Kid wrote: Well thanks for doing so!
Ditto.....
Apoptosis wrote:It is just a $5 bracket now ;)
Maybe for you and others who register their EVGA 400 series card :lol: . Others are stuck with paying double :nut kick:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

So... bottom line is save your money. Take off the stock bracket, get your Dremel and cutting wheel, cut your own hole. Cost, $.30 in electricity and $.50 in a cutting wheel, problem solved.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I have my GTX 480 sitting in my case without the bracket like this:

Working great and I got the bracket in case I need to RMA it still...

If you wanted the free and best solution with a bracket on it then yeah, just get out the dremel and cut it up. It's free and will give you better airflow.
Follow Me on Twitter!
stereo55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by stereo55 »

Even though this is an old thread , still good info on the brackets . Thx !
* i7 5930K @ 4GHz 1.085v - Corsair H100i GTX - Asrock x99 OC Formula 3.1
* Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb - HGST NAS 3TB - 2x WD Blue 1TB - 32gig Crucial 2133 - EVGA 980 Ti Classified - Corsair 780T/Seasonic 760 Platinum
* LG 34" Ultra Wide - Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5" - LG WH16NS40 Blu Burner - SoundBlaster Z - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel
* Windows 8.1 Pro/Windows 10
* Retired game rig i7 920 @ 3.9 - EVGA x58 - still going strong!

Heatware