SilverStone Precision Series PS05 Mid-Tower PC Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Today, SilverStone sent Legit Reviews their newest mid tower from their Precision Series, the PS05. With a price tag that won't violate your bank account, black interior and offering tool-less installation among a few other features, the PS05 could very well find a spot on your desk. Let's take a peek and find out what this case offers.

Overall, I like the SilverStone PS05. With the current price of $39.99 after rebate, I think it's a steal. It offers great features, a great look, and sturdy construction, which is a feature usually found in more expensive cases. Oh, and it has no issue fitting in a GTX 480 (with a little maneuvering, mind you).

Article Title: SilverStone Precision Series PS05 Mid-Tower PC Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1358/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $39.99 after rebate
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Z999z3mystorys
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: SilverStone Precision Series PS05 Mid-Tower PC Case Review

Post by Z999z3mystorys »

oh, a GTX 480 could fit in there? nice, still I'd say if your spending $500 on a GPU, you case budget should be higher than $40, still, looks good in that price range.
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

Great feature set but it just looks so shitty from the front; with how the lines angle inward going down to the fan and the cheap looking teeth on the sides.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
Optix
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Optix »

I smell clearance issues if you fill the case with fans.

With the exception of the 3.5" drive bays this case looks very much like the Thermaltake V3 right down to the little center post that keeps your motherboard in place while you fasten it down. That is was the only good thing about the V3. I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM who made the V3 makes this one.

The top fans will mount over the upper edge of your motherboard and if you are using a board like the Gigabyte H55M-USB like I am it will cause clearance issues with the 8-pin power connector and all 4 DIMM slots while crowing your CPU area meaning your after market heatsink may not fit.

The bottom fan that can be placed in front of the PSU will likely have clearance issues as well with any PSU above 500 watts. My Ultra X4 is hardly considered large but it hung out over where the outside edge of the bottom fan would be.

Can LR mount some fans, slap some hardware in and see if this is the case?

No pun intended.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Optix wrote:The top fans will mount over the upper edge of your motherboard and if you are using a board like the Gigabyte H55M-USB like I am it will cause clearance issues with the 8-pin power connector and all 4 DIMM slots while crowing your CPU area meaning your after market heatsink may not fit.
Actually the top fans mount above the chassis itself, but underneath the detachable fan filter. They're not even inside the case technically. The board i used had a 4-pin connector that was located on the top left as well, that was pictured in the review. The only real clearance issue would be the rear fan if you plan to use a good size CPU cooler.
Attachments
PS05-top-panel-fans.jpg
PS05-top-panel-fans.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
ps05-top-panel-with-filter.jpg
ps05-top-panel-with-filter.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I like this case more than most $100 cases. Plain Jane, no LEDs, no windows, etc... I'm with you Inspectah I hate using the cases with integrated standoff screws. Seems like it would cost more to machine the standoffs in the case than including 10 brass standoffs that probably cost a penny. I'm always worried the board might shift and there goes the ground.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Major_A wrote:I'm with you Inspectah I hate using the cases with integrated standoff screws. Seems like it would cost more to machine the standoffs in the case than including 10 brass standoffs that probably cost a penny. I'm always worried the board might shift and there goes the ground.
What is weird in my mind, that there is one spot for a normal brass standoff. Maybe for better grounding?.I didn't catch that at first and screwed in the board bending the hell out of it. Luckily I saw it soon enough to where nothing bad happened. As mentioned, it would have been nice for a spot in the manual touching on that and the mounting technique used in here. Especially for newbies or someone ignorant like me :lol:
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Major_A wrote:Seems like it would cost more to machine the standoffs in the case than including 10 brass standoffs that probably cost a penny. I'm always worried the board might shift and there goes the ground.
The motherboard tray was stamped out in a die, not machined. The raised area was made with a hole when they stamped the tray out, then the holes tapped for the threads. The removing of the brass material and machine time for the standoff is where the money is saved. Brass isn't cheap nor is machine time.

The reason some mount points are stamped into the case and some having standoffs is because there are holes common to all board layouts, and some that are not. The one that jumps out at me is middle rear of ATX boards. There is a double hole near the video cards, mainly the lower of the two. Most newer boards have this to help support the video card weight, some older ATX boards do not have this hole. so it would short out the ATX board if they made it a stamped stand off rather than a brass standoff. That same hole is however required for a mATX board.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: SilverStone Precision Series PS05 Mid-Tower PC Case Revi

Post by Athlonite »

meh more HDD space would have been much more appreciated than the two floppy bays and all of those 5.25" bays i have one DVD burner and no floppy drive other than that it'd make a rather nice little outta the way Home server case in some dark arse corner
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W