NVIDIA's Best Buy GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card Overview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVIDIA's Best Buy GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card Overview

Post by Apoptosis »

We got word late yesterday by a friend at NVIDIA that Best Buy had slipped up and released NVIDIA branded graphics cards on Sunday night. This is the first time that we have seen NVIDIA branded video cards being sold direct and we went to a few Best Buy stores in St. Louis and sure enough, we spotted the cards sitting on store shelves. We couldn't leave the store empty handed, so we bought the card for $299.99 and headed back to see what it was all about.

Article Title: NVIDIA's Best Buy GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card Overview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1427/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: NVIDIA's Best Buy GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card Overvie

Post by gwolfman »

Actually, I'd have to pay tax for newegg purchases anyways, so that doesn't win me over. But yeah, I hate Best Buy, everything there costs so much.
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

So I see you went for the authentic Best Buy experience and bought the most overpriced one you could find. Nice.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Sttm wrote:So I see you went for the authentic Best Buy experience and bought the most overpriced one you could find. Nice.
LOL, well said. I mean can you really charge $35+ for a USB cable!?! How sad that people don't even know they are getting ripped off.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

One of the reasons I did the article!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Apoptosis wrote:One of the reasons I did the article!
Thanks for keeping things Legit [pun intended].
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Everyone over at H is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I don't see why this is a big deal. I wrote two replies over there and here they are.
Originally Posted by Major_A View Post
Maybe BFG placed an order with nVidia then said to hell with it. Now nVidia is left with a large order that they already placed. So maybe this was BFG's last order that didn't come to fruition? Now nVidia is just trying to move the product themselves?
Response I got: No, that did not happen.
One thing to point out, I don't own any credit cards. But when my Ti4400 bit the dust I needed to get my MoH:AA addiction fed. I applied for a Circuit City card and bought a 9800 Pro. Then I bought a 7600GT from Circuit City and a 8800GTS after that. It wasn't that I wanted to pay more but I could afford the monthly payments on my CC card. Probably holds true for some of the Best Buy video card buyers.

I also think this is a moot point with their AIB. They aren't selling a "better" version of what they are selling to their partners. Hell they are charging more for an inferior product. This probably has more to do with stocking the selves with nVidia products and nothing more. If 50% of the self space is nVidia cards and nVidia's brand occupies 5% there is still a 50% chance that someone will buy a nVidia product.
And I forgot about this one.
To add to what BaldHeadedDork is saying nVidia really screwed the pooch with SLI. It could have been a lot bigger than what it is if not for their greediness. You want to Crossfire 2 ATi cards, have 2 16x or 8x PCIe slots. Want to run SLI well you better be looking at paying a premium for your board. Then there aren't really that many options. If I could just add another card to my machine I probably would have already. But I'm not going to buy a new setup at inflated prices just to run another video card in SLI. And if anything they lost another sale on one of their video cards, that has to be more of a profit margin then their SLI license.
Posting a few times over there today reminded me why I haven't been there in a long time. Their forums a lot like Anandtech's DailyTech, everyone knows everything, just ask them. Thanks for reminding me that this is the best tech forum on the net.
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I just bought 2 EVGA GTX 470s. They cost $304.99 each and had a MIR of $30 each. They also come with EVGA's lifetime warranty, and for $5 I was able to get an expedite on on the rebate (it should be delivered in 5-7 days - instead of 6-8 weeks). End result is that I am unimpressed with these 460s. Just my 2¢ worth... Then again, Best Buy has never really impressed me (especially after working at one of their stores!)
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)