Android Phone Aggravations

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Android Phone Aggravations

Post by Major_A »

My contract renewal was up this month so I picked up a new phone Sunday. I previously had a Blackberry Curve and wanted an Android based phone. I didn't want the Samsung Epic and the HTC Evo was out of my price range so I settled on the LG Optimus S. Over the last two days I've been playing with it and I realized that it's really pissing me off. So for the last few hours I've tried to find an easy (non-techie) way to root my phone. That isn't going so well either.

My chief complaints are:
1) It seems like the entire Android OS is build around Google's ad business. It would be like buying Windows only to find out that Notepad, the Start Menu, Control Panel, etc... are filled with Bing ads. This is the sole reason I want to root this phone so I can block most of this garbage.
2) Over the course of the last few days I've been using the Swype input method but I had to revert back a few hours ago to the default input method. My old school Blackberry had spell check when you sent messages/emails but the newer/higher tech phone doesn't. I'm not the best spleller out there so I need all the help I can get.
3) The phone gets HOT. I can only imagine how hot my stepdad's Epic gets, since it has a faster processor.
4) Even though my phone is running Android v2.2 (Froyo) I still can't download Flash. There is a YouTube app that works fine but any other flash based website is SOL.
5) The privacy (or lack there of) of this phone is ridiculous. Every app seems like it needs to be connected to the web (Google ads) or synced with the GPS satellites.
KnightRid

Re: Android Phone Aggravations

Post by KnightRid »

Welcome to a world where the carriers have more control over your phone than what you or the manufacturers do ;)

privacy - HAHAHHAHAH - you are funny. No smartphone will give you any sort of privacy unless you turn off basically everything (gos, networking, connecting to cell towers, etc)

xda forums are the best resource out there. If there is a one click root, it should be there. http://forum.xda-developers.com/

spell check I don't know about, but it should have the spell correct. Check your settings to make sure you did not turn it off or that it did not come with it turned off. Maybe Swype did it..??

I would have waited for a sale on the EVO. Actually I have Verizon, so I would have waited for the Droid X or Droid 2 to go on sale.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

With the default typing/input scheme it suggests words while typing. Swype, it might suggest a word when you don't hit all the correct buttons but there isn't a spell check.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Careful what you wish for...

For the third time in less than a week I got a new phone. This time I asked Santa to help me out and I got the EVO 4G. It's dumb I have to pay an extra $10 a month to for a service that isn't available to me but, you gotta do what you gotta do. With the faster phone (CPU/processor) and Android v2.2 (Froyo) I'm rocking flash content. In a sense I guess my old phone was blocking flash ads for me but now I'm back to seeing them. I guess you have to give a little to get a little. The upside is the phone's screen is miles ahead of the Optimus S and Angry Birds doesn't lag any more.

Saturday - Blackberry Curve 8330
Sunday - Blackberry Curve 3G 9330
Sunday - LG Optimus S
Thursday - HTC Evo 4G

Hopefully this will be the last time I return a phone this month. Unless something catastrophic happens I don't see me getting another one.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

search for z4root and see if that one-click root app will work for your LG. I just used it this weekend on my Droid X. The temporary root feature was not working for me even though it completed, but the permanent root worked perfectly. I also have the option to un-root later if I feel like it.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook