Flash Your HD 6950 to HD 6970 Guide - Use At Your Own Risk

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Flash Your HD 6950 to HD 6970 Guide - Use At Your Own Risk

Post by Major_A »

If something breaks in the process only blame yourself. I'm not here to say this works one way or the other, merely showing you the information and letting you decide for yourself.

AMD Radeon HD 6950 to HD 6970 Flash Mod
Introduction

A few weeks ago AMD released the Radeon HD 6970 and Radeon HD 6950. Both cards are based on AMD's new Cayman core which is their first graphics processor to use a VLIW4 shader configuration.

Just like on all other similar products, AMD's two Cayman variants, called Cayman Pro and Cayman XT, are based on the exact same GPU silicon. The model variant a GPU chip becomes is decided after the die is produced, at some point before it is put on the card. Creating new SKUs from the same silicon by locking features has been common practice in the industry since at least the Radeon 9500 in 2002.

This article is to unlock the Radeon HD 6950. The HD 6970 has nothing that can be unlocked.
arch.jpg
arch.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
The picture above shows the disabled HD 6950 shaders in red. When unlocked, these deactivated units become active, resulting in a substantial performance increase.

AMD has two methods of locking the shader count on all of their recent GPUs. The first one relies on fuses inside the GPU, or on the substrate - a mechanism similar to Intel's multiplier locking. It is not reversible as far as we know. The second mechanism is the one we are interested in, AMD can configure the VGA BIOS in a way that it disables extra shaders, in addition to the ones disabled via the on-die fuses. This method is mostly used to create engineering samples or reviewer cards that match the target specifications. Usually production cards come with the shader count configured in the fuses, so that it can not be changed.

Apparently currently shipping Radeon HD 6950 cards from all manufacturers - which actually are all the same card with different sticker - have their shaders locked via the BIOS method, so we can exploit it easily.

Unlocking the shaders

Unlocking the additional shaders is done by flashing the card with a HD 6970 BIOS. You can find a few in our VGA BIOS collection. Any of these BIOSes will work on any reference design HD 6950 card. You could use the ASUS BIOS which comes with higher clocks & Overdrive limits and enables voltage changes via SmartDoctor, or stick with one of the reference BIOSes in case you are afraid the clocks might be too high.

I will describe the method for flashing from within Windows, which is safe enough on these cards because of the dual BIOS feature that enables easy recovery.

-Grab ATI Winflash from here (32 & 64-bit).
-Download HD 6970 BIOS. The Sapphire one I linked to will work on all reference design cards from any vendor.
-Make sure the BIOS switch on the card is set to the 1 position (pictured further down if you don't know where it is).
-Run ATI Winflash, click Save to save your BIOS, so you have a backup in case something goes wrong.
-Load the HD 6970 BIOS into Winflash by clicking Load Image, followed by Program.
-Let the flashing process complete and reboot your system.
-Check the shader count using GPU-Z, it should show 1536. Make sure you use version 0.5.0 or newer, the official 0.4.9 version does not support HD 6900 Series properly. If you see a shader count of 1600, your GPU-Z version is outdated.
-To ensure maximized performance open Catalyst Control Center, go to the Overdrive tab and set the PowerTune slider to the +20% setting. The "Testing" section of this article has more data on that.
-Check stability in Windows desktop applications and games.

If you get an error like ID mismatch or Could not erase ROM, then you'll have to do some extra work in a Windows command prompt (or DOS): Run atiwinflash -unlockrom 0 followed by atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.bin where bios.bin is the path and filename of the HD 6970 BIOS you downloaded.

What if something goes wrong?

So you flashed the BIOS and your card doesn't work for one reason or the other?
If your card boots fine but does not work reliably in 3D, you can just boot the card and flash back the original BIOS of your card (that's why you should always save your BIOS before doing any flashing experiments.

In case your card does not boot at all you can use AMD's new backup BIOS feature:

Set the BIOS switch (pictured above) in the 2 position to enable the recovery BIOS and restart the computer. This will let you boot the card without problems.
Boot into Windows/DOS prompt and get ready to flash the card - do not start the flashing process just yet.
Set the BIOS switch in the 1 position with the system running and ready to flash.
Flash your saved BIOS to the card.
Reboot, done.

The dual BIOS feature is just an added convenience for easier recovery, it is not a requirement for this kind of modding, nor is it evidence that AMD has planned their cards with unlocking in mind.
Source
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: HD 6950 to HD 6970 Guide - Use At Your Own Risk

Post by smack323 »

looks to be simple enough.. now if I can only find $300..
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
skier

Re: Flash Your HD 6950 to HD 6970 Guide - Use At Your Own Ri

Post by skier »

Combined threads

gotta love flashing video cards, the only reason I can break 900MHz on my 460
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Flash Your HD 6950 to HD 6970 Guide - Use At Your Own Ri

Post by Major_A »

The W1zzard added a package of the files needed plus a small script to help those less experienced.
Download the package here.

According to the updated stats this mod seems like it is almost fool proof.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/ove ... idcard/159
So far every card that has attempted this mod, 0, I repeat 0!, have had issues.