Overclocking utility

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Overclocking utility

Post by DragonFury »

I know there is a lot of Video card overclocking utilities out there, and currently I am running MSI Afterburner. but my question is is there any good overclocking utility i can use that will go beyond the confines of the clock limitations set by ATI on the 6970 video cards? I tried tweaking Afterburner but it results in crashing or blue screening my computer. trixx works well with one card but with two of them it does not work to well I know these vide cards do 1000MHz on the core plus 1500+ on the memory but I am limited to 950/1450. Heat is not an issue because these are water cooled.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Overclocking utility

Post by Major_A »

I assume you edited the config file in MSI Afterburner.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about31880.html#p187424
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

yep, it crashes the computer :(. i am using the 2.1 beta 6 version of afterburner.
Mini ME
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Hmmm... what is the crash error according to the Windows log?
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

it gives different error codes, most of them are in a hex format which is way to much for me to write down. the initial error I get is atikmdag.sys normally this means either memory problems (which I dont have as it checks out), video card faulty again these checks out, or driver which I am not to keen with. the only thing I have not done is redo the operating system, it is not that I dont want to just I really dont want to do it.....
Mini ME
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

FInally fixed the issue. we need to use MSI Afterburner 2.1 beta 7 and we need to do a couple of different things in order to use it properly. This link explains it all HERE
Mini ME
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Glad you got it working. The atikmdag.sys error has something to do with your video card, hence the ati at the beginning of the file.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

DragonFury wrote:FInally fixed the issue. we need to use MSI Afterburner 2.1 beta 7 and we need to do a couple of different things in order to use it properly. This link explains it all HERE
I see they changed a few things...
- Set UnofficialOverclockingEULA field to the following text: I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
- Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

What caught my attention was that you now HAVE to type this in-
I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
-instead of "0"
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

unfortunetly it did not last, i tested it worked great, did some quick testing with the clock speeds, come back from class computer rebooted itself and after that any attempt of adjusting the clock speeds BSOD.
Mini ME
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Have you tried disabling Crossfire and trying one card? I know it's a PITA but that way you can see if it's an app error, ATi/AMD error, or Crossfire error.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I think it might have something to do with the power play option, the second GPU basically shuts down while in windows desktop, and fires up once a game gets enabled. right now as I type this my GPU 1 is sitting @ 950/1375, GPU 2 is @ 250/150.
Mini ME
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

MSI Afterburner v2.1.0 was released the 15th, just saw it on Majorgeeks though.

Changelog:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Download:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/MSI_Afterburner_d6254.html
or
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/im ... tup210.zip
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

thank you for the update I just went like a few days ago and it had the 2.0, it is still 2.0 at MSI's website. which is odd they are still using that version when others have a newer one
Mini ME
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I am going to give up on this one, been doing a lot of reading and the issue lies with power play and the ULPS that AMD put into play on these cards is what I am fighting. on a single card I can overclock it like mad but once a second card is put to use the ULPS kicks into overdrive meaning that the second card will only (lack of a better technical word) power up when it is needed or when an application requires that second card. So it stays in below idle mode to conserve power when not in use. consequently when I try overclocking both video cards beyond BIOS limits, it tries to override the ULPS or power play causing it to crash or recover. hope this makes sense.
Mini ME
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

On the upside even with a massive overclock you probably wouldn't gain that much performance anyway. Seems like the newer nVidia cards respond better to higher clocks.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Nvidia good for that, but so much for multi monitor or some codec support. at least from when I had two 470's
Mini ME