Quad Core 9550 Vrs i7

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Quad Core 9550 Vrs i7

Post by [email protected] »

Just how much faster would an i7 processor be compared to my Quad 9550? I run audio recording software, would hyperthreading (virtual 8 cores) make a difference? Running VST (virtual instruments) really sucks up CPU. 3 or 4 instruments easily peak the 9550. ANY COMMENTS?

I realize this means a new Motherboard and RAM to upgrade.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Quad Core 9550 Vrs i7

Post by XstollieX »

The I7 will pretty much smoke the 9550 on every aspect. With that being said, depending on your motherboard you could probably drop in a Phenom II X6 and see a huge improvement for cheaper. You can find our latest processor review that has the latest i7 processors in the charts vs the Phenom II X6 1100T here. We don't run the software you are using but it will give you an idea of the performance difference's. Hope that helps. If have any more questions feel free to post em :)
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by [email protected] »

Thanks.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Anytime :)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

XstollieX wrote:The I7 will pretty much smoke the 9550 on every aspect. With that being said, depending on your motherboard you could probably drop in a Phenom II X6 and see a huge improvement for cheaper. You can find our latest processor review that has the latest i7 processors in the charts vs the Phenom II X6 1100T here. We don't run the software you are using but it will give you an idea of the performance difference's. Hope that helps. If have any more questions feel free to post em :)
The real answer is sort of. If the Q9550 is overclocked and the i7 is at stock then you might be surprised. It also depends on when genereation of i7 you're running, Bloomfield-Sandy Bridge.
Example:
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about21625.html
His screenshots were deleted but the i7 920 at stock was running a tad bit slower than my C2Q.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Well, your right. With the 9550 i was thinking Phenom 9550, forgot about the Intel 9550. Bit of a brain fade there for me :oops: that's why I suggested a possible drip in of the Phenom II X6