MSI 790FX-GD70 Socket AM3 Motherboard Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

MSI brings an AM3 socket motherboard to the table that is suppose to be their flagship. Will it be a board that will rival other makers in performance and overclocking? That is what we intend to find out as we look at the MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard!

We have the opportunity to look at another AMD Socket AM3 motherboard in our review today. This one is the 790FX-GD70 from MSI and it is poised to be the flagship motherboard of the AM3 lineup for MSI. MSI has been around for quite some time, and so it is no stranger to competing in the motherboard business. This board sports the 790FX/SB750 combination of chipsets, so it is the best that you can get now in the AM3 scene. It also has a total of four X16 PCIE slots, so it is ready for a multi-GPU setup to take gaming to its graphical extremes.

Article Title: MSI 790FX-GD70 Socket AM3 Motherboard Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/1004/1/
Pricing at Time of Print: $179.99 at Newegg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: MSI 790FX-GD70 Socket AM3 Motherboard Review

Post by FeRaL »

Wow, talk about disappointing, 1.45V and pow!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

FeRaL wrote:Wow, talk about disappointing, 1.45V and pow!
Yup, MSI is sending us a new board and we'll try again... It seems to be a common problem as Gomeler has known people to blow the Voltage Regulators on these boards also. It looks like we were very lucky as the processor survived...
Follow Me on Twitter!
ajmatson
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ajmatson »

Epic Fail. These board do have a fault with their voltage regulators however the G65 I have had no issues getting a 720 to 1.5 volts stable.
Hardware:
To much to list :)
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

ajmatson wrote:Epic Fail. These board do have a fault with their voltage regulators however the G65 I have had no issues getting a 720 to 1.5 volts stable.
Agreed. The G65 is a rather well built board, I was dumping 1.85v through a 955 with it. I don't know what is up with the GD70, too frequently the fets blow up, embarrassing for MSI :oops:
3DMark06 Addict

HACKhalo2
Legit User
Legit User

Post by HACKhalo2 »

I haven't heard anything about faulty Voltage Regulators on this board. I've googled, looked at the reviews on Newegg, and asked on OCN about it (which is why I want one), and not one thing about something like this.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

HACKhalo2 wrote:I haven't heard anything about faulty Voltage Regulators on this board. I've googled, looked at the reviews on Newegg, and asked on OCN about it (which is why I want one), and not one thing about something like this.
I know a guy, Ton from Team Ironmods, who has killed 4 of these boards. Chew* from Xtremesystems has killed 1, and then we have this sample at LR that randomly blew up at a very safe voltage. Unfortunately it is the only decent AM3 board with 4 usable PCIe slots so they keep using them and keep killing them. Perhaps if you keep the voltages below 1.5v they won't blow up, but then why give the option for 1.5+v in BIOS? :rolleyes:
3DMark06 Addict

HACKhalo2
Legit User
Legit User

Post by HACKhalo2 »

Gomeler wrote:
HACKhalo2 wrote:I haven't heard anything about faulty Voltage Regulators on this board. I've googled, looked at the reviews on Newegg, and asked on OCN about it (which is why I want one), and not one thing about something like this.
I know a guy, Ton from Team Ironmods, who has killed 4 of these boards. Chew* from Xtremesystems has killed 1, and then we have this sample at LR that randomly blew up at a very safe voltage. Unfortunately it is the only decent AM3 board with 4 usable PCIe slots so they keep using them and keep killing them. Perhaps if you keep the voltages below 1.5v they won't blow up, but then why give the option for 1.5+v in BIOS? :rolleyes:
Huh. Everyone on http://www.overclock.net that has the board never had problems like this that I know of. People on their were pushing 1.5 vcore to OC the 955 to 4.0GHz.

Could it be a bad batch?
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Could be a bad batch.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ost3830875
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ost3831184

Ton told me in person about his dead GD70s, so no forum posts on them.
3DMark06 Addict

x.clay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by x.clay »

I actually have one of these in mail and I read your review after I placed the order. Not really want you want to read when you are considering a little overclocking :shock:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Mobo: Asus Z77 Gene
GPU: GTX 470
RAM: 2X4gb G.Skill 1600
OS SDD: Kingston 120 gb SSD
Game SSD: Kingston 128 gb SSD
Storage: Hitachi 1Tb, Intel 80 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair AX 850w
Case: Silverstone FT-03
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

x.clay wrote:I actually have one of these in mail and I read your review after I placed the order. Not really want you want to read when you are considering a little overclocking :shock:
MSI's R&D team flew to the United States yesterday and will be looking at a number of the boards that have been blown up lately. We overnight mailed ours back to MSI yesterday, so the engineers from Taiwan can take a look at our board as well. I'll let you know what they determine. I'm not sure what exactly could cause this as it could be a number of things. I'm impressed by MSI's dedication to fixing the issue on this board though. I doubt they'd ever issue a recall, but it would be nice to know if a new revision of the board has a 'fix' to what is happening here.

Looking at Fedex 869737201920 it seems our review board is in California already and should be delivered soon... I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on this.
Follow Me on Twitter!
x.clay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by x.clay »

well hopefully they will get things sorted out before I buy the rest of my parts. I have been reading the rumors about the 965 BE and am considering holding off until the release for my next upgrade.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

x.clay wrote:well hopefully they will get things sorted out before I buy the rest of my parts. I have been reading the rumors about the 965 BE and am considering holding off until the release for my next upgrade.
Don't hold off for the 965BE, it is simply a 955BE with marginally higher stock voltage for stability. Buy a 955 and feed it 1.375v and you'll have a 965 in everything but name 8)
3DMark06 Addict

x.clay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by x.clay »

I have been kicking around that idea as well. If I go for the 955 I am hoping for a price drop when they release the 965.
sumitlian
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by sumitlian »

ajmatson wrote:Epic Fail. These board do have a fault with their voltage regulators however the G65 I have had no issues getting a 720 to 1.5 volts stable.
Huh ! "legitreviews says this board is not meant for even mid overclocking. " ):| :buttkick:

I do never had such a problem with this board ! I am using Phenom II X6 1055t 125watt edition overclocked to 4.1Ghz with 1.45v cooled with Corsair H70 And it's 100% stable however North Bridge (Where the Voltage regulator is) temperature usually goes to 83 degree with full load, but I have never had any issue about burning/blow up/stability. And according to MSI the safe temp of North Bridge is 80 degree.

The legitreviews team is indirectly abusing this board, may be they dont know anything about overclocking or the time when they were overclocking may be it was a power supply failure or voltage up.

This is a great board made by MSI, and this is the best one board of all other AMD 700 series boards for overclocking.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

We had multiple boards fail and there was indeed a design flaw with this board. Since this happened in 2009, it's a thing of the past. The early boards had a faulty Dr. MOS chip on it and it was re-designed and all the boards were updated. You can ask MSI if you like and if you like you can e-mail or call them and ask them if they had to re-design the Dr. MOS chip on this board. I'll even be kind enough to give you the name and e-mail address of our contact there, so you can hear it straight from MSI and not us.

Just for the record we did a follow-up to this review here and highlighted the new chip - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1103/1/

Coming here and saying we are idiots is sad though as we were one of the very few sites that actually overclocked the board and exposed the flaw, thus forcing MSI to pull the boards and spin a new chip. You should be saying thanks for your improved later revision board with the new Dr. MOS chip on it.
Follow Me on Twitter!
sumitlian
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by sumitlian »

Apoptosis wrote:We had multiple boards fail and there was indeed a design flaw with this board. Since this happened in 2009, it's a thing of the past. The early boards had a faulty Dr. MOS chip on it and it was re-designed and all the boards were updated. You can ask MSI if you like and if you like you can e-mail or call them and ask them if they had to re-design the Dr. MOS chip on this board. I'll even be kind enough to give you the name and e-mail address of our contact there, so you can hear it straight from MSI and not us.

Just for the record we did a follow-up to this review here and highlighted the new chip - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1103/1/

Coming here and saying we are idiots is sad though as we were one of the very few sites that actually overclocked the board and exposed the flaw, thus forcing MSI to pull the boards and spin a new chip. You should be saying thanks for your improved later revision board with the new Dr. MOS chip on it.
Sorry sorry sorry !
I'm extremely sorry !

By seeing above link, I would like to confirm that the gd70 I have is built with new Voltage regulator.

Its my foolishness, that I misunderstood you :(

I should not have commented like that without having enough knowledge :(
I really never tested on any amd board except gd70.

After your reply I don't know why but I'm really weeping and feeling very guilty for what I had done.
I'm nothing but a moron :(

If possible pardon me.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

no worries man... The writers here take pride in the name of this site and strive to give consumers honest reviews! When someone comes and says we are wrong or biased it does hurt!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sumitlian
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by sumitlian »

Again Sorry for that ! :(