Need help with memory and fan speed

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Corky356
Legit User
Legit User

Need help with memory and fan speed

Post by Corky356 »

This is a computer I built a while back and upgraded this past Tuesday. The specs are:

WIN 7, 64 bit
Intel mobo DP67BGB3
Proc Quad core i5 2500 3.3G
MEM Corsair DDR3, 1600, 8GB
Nvidea GeForce GTX 560

Here's what I think is a problem: The BIOS shows my memory speed as 1333mhz, and the fan speeds seem to me to be low:

Processor--740 RPM
Front case fan--620 RPM
Rear fan--1240 RPM

At idle my processor is at ~33c and the highest I've seen it go in a game was 62c. (as shown in Intel Desktop Utilities). I know these are safe temps, but higher fan speeds would bring them down. Right now the computer is almost dead quiet, which is kind of eerie. I used these same fans before the upgrade and they ran a lot faster. I have one old fan here with a MOLEX connector and thought about putting it in, but wanted to see what kind of response I got here first.

The mobo has 4 pin fan connectors and all I have are 3 pin fans. Does this make a difference in the speed? I had to order 4 pin fans and they'll be here Monday. Actually all I could find on Newegg were 3 pin fans with 4 pin adapters.

I've been looking at the BIOS and it doesn't look like any other BIOS I've ever had (I've always used Asus boards). I guess I may have to change voltages, but really don't know where to start. I Googled the BIOS but didn't find anything that looked helpful.

Really need some guidance. Thanks in advance
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Need help with memory and fan speed

Post by vbironchef »

Looks like you have a nice build there. Quiet, that's good. To increase fan speed just go into the bios and change settings. No need to change voltage. If you want to overclock then download the software for the motherboard or do it manually.

If you don't have the disc for the motherboard just go to the Intel web site and get the proper software and drivers for overclocking your cpu and memory. Also instal software and drivers for your graphic card so you can adjust fan speed.

Would not hurt to update your bios as well if it needs it.

Edit: I think you typed in the wrong motherboard number, go to this site to make sure you have the right number for the motherboard. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR ... amilyId=36 This will give you all the updates including software for your motherboard. You should be able to instal the intel desktop control center and you will be able to adjust most of your settings from there.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

The RAM: The 1333Mhz is the default that your MOBO will use when detecting your RAM. You will need to get in the BIOS and set the RAM to the XMP profile or if you don't have that, just see what your RAM timings, and voltage supposed to be and adjust them in the BIOS manualy + the speed of 1600Mhz (timings in the RAM timings section and the voltage in the voltage adjustement section). After that your RAM should run @ 1600Mhz stable.

the Fan speed also should be adjustable in the BIOS (eighter your BIOS controls it according to the temp. or you can disable that and then it will run at full speed all the time).

You should of say what RAM you have exactly (exact model #) and we could of look up the timings and voltage for you... (there is a zilion kinds and types of corsair RAM out there - All we know its DDR3 dual channel because of the CPU used)
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Corky356
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Corky356 »

Thanks for the responses.

sbohdan-- Sorry about the RAM, it's CMX4GX3M2A1600C8. I tried earlier to find the settings for changing the speed in the BIOS and couldn't figure it out. I'll go back into the BIOS tomorrow and give it another try.

vbironchef-- The MOBO number is DP67BG Extreme (this is off the front of the box). What I originally posted was off the invoice. I have the disc for the board and will install that software tomorrow; at least I think you're referring to the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility??????

I'll attempt all this tomorrow and post back. I'm just kind of concerned about changing the wrong thing and burning something out, lol. Thanks again.
Corky356
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Corky356 »

OK, I found XMP in my Bios and set the BIOS to that (1600). When the computer finished booting, I was getting "over voltage" warnings from Intel's Desktop Utility. At 1333 the Voltage is 1.50, at 1600 the voltage is 1.65. I know my RAM timings, but not the voltage.

Busy now, but I'll try setting RAM timings to 7-7-7-20 manually and try to keep the voltage at 1.50. Is that the correct way to do it, or is the 1.65 volts OK and just ignore the warnings?

Thanks.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I can almost guarantee you that when you set the XMP to 1600 the RAM upped it's voltage to 1.65V. It's normal and I'd tell the motherboard to go pound sand. There's also likely a setting in the BIOS to adjust the fan profiles. The deal with your CPU is it is probably set to PWM in the BIOS. If you want it to spin faster tell the BIOS to not control the CPU fan (aka let it run full out).
Corky356
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Corky356 »

Thanks for the info, Major. I did some more research-- found the voltages for the RAM, checked Corsair"s site and found out the mobo is compatible, etc I set it in XMP and it's running at 1600; I turned off the "over voltage" warning from Intel Desktop Utilities-- I guess Intel never told that program it's OK. As far as the fans, I think I'm going to turn off the mobo's fan management and buy a fan controller. They're cheap, quick, and simple to use.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Corky356 wrote:OK, I found XMP in my Bios and set the BIOS to that (1600). When the computer finished booting, I was getting "over voltage" warnings from Intel's Desktop Utility. At 1333 the Voltage is 1.50, at 1600 the voltage is 1.65. I know my RAM timings, but not the voltage.

Busy now, but I'll try setting RAM timings to 7-7-7-20 manually and try to keep the voltage at 1.50. Is that the correct way to do it, or is the 1.65 volts OK and just ignore the warnings?

Thanks.
According to corsair's site the xmp profile speed is 1600Mhz and the voltage is 1.65V, timing: 8-8-8-24. If you attempt to tighten the timing to 7-7-7-20 and lower the voltage to 1.5V, it will most likely crush on boot or not be stable at all. I would suggest to keep everything to the XMP profile, or you could maybe experiment with lowering the voltage to 1.6V and test it (with memtest 86) for stability. 1.65V is perfectly OK, so no need to panic :)
you could also try to up the speed (with leaving the timings and voltage) to 1866Mhz (I've read somewhere that this RAM is capable of running @ that speed :-k
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Corky356
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Corky356 »

eah, man. I set it in XMP-- 1600/1.65v. I'll leave it like that. Thanks.