Add2PSU Daisy Chain Power Supply Adapter Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Are you looking for a convenient way to link more than one power supply together in a single PC in order to handle all those new components? With the Add2PSU adapter you don’t have to spend money on new high wattage power supply or destroy your computer by cutting, soldering, taping wires wanting to make your on 'DIY' daisy chain PSU kit. The Add2Psu adapter is a simple device that installs in seconds that allows you to add another PSU to your system.

To try out the Add2PSU I pulled two Corsair HX620W power supplies that I retired from the test bench early last year since they were unable to handle the power demands of some of the crazy computer hardware that I benchmark and overclock around here. I hooked the two 620W power supplies together with the Add2PSU adapter and sure enough both power supplies kicked on like there were siamese twins. The Add2PSU worked fine and I ended up with a total of 1240 Watts of power by using this simple device, which is plenty power for most enthusiast PCs that you could build today.
Article Title: Add2PSU Daisy Chain Power Supply Adapter Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1698/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $19.95 plus $1.99 shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Add2PSU Daisy Chain Power Supply Adapter Review

Post by Kaos Kid »

Looks like a handy little gadget. I guess you still need to plugin every PSU in the chain to a power strip, but what is one more cord coming out of your case? :lol:

Having a separate PSU dedicated to your discrete video card(s) sounds like a good idea.

This does indeed look more cost effective, considering the price of one badass PSU is usually more than twice the price of two or three lesser PSUs that add up to the same wattage/voltage. It would be worth investing in at least one of these little "daddy's helpers" to have in the toolbox just in case. It would allow you to extend the life of an older system until you could afford a better PSU, then put it away until needed again.

Thanks for the review!

PS Xoxide.com had these for $18.95 + shipping for one and $18 + shipping for two or more.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

It would be great to combine two of these from http://www.mini-box.com for example:Image
for a very low thermal and no-noise HTPC/medium-gaming environment, one for CPU/Motherboard and another for the graphics card. :)
Last edited by gwolfman on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

no longer applicable
Last edited by Kaos Kid on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

gwolfman wrote:It would be great to combine two of these from http://www.mini-box.com for example:Image
for a very low thermal and no-noise HTPC/medium-gaming environment, one for CPU/Motherboard and another for the graphics card. :)
Man I haven't seen a PicoPSU in person since 2006 - Hard to believe that was over 6 years ago!

Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

I had one up until a year or so ago when mine burned out, the power adapter (the one that goes to the wall) is still good though. I've been meaning to get a replacement for my ssh gateway and web server running on an mini-ITX PC, but wasn't wanting to spend the money if I could get by otherwise.
Tator Tot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Tator Tot »

I still have a 160w PicoPSU lying around my place somewhere.

They're great little guys, if you pick the right power adapter, you can easily get 90%+ efficiency out of the unit.