IDF 2011: GIGABYTE Intel X79 Motherboard Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

IDF 2011: GIGABYTE Intel X79 Motherboard Preview

Post by XstollieX »

IDF 2011: GIGABYTE X79 Motherboard Preview

Since not everyone is able to make it to IDF 2011, we are bringing it to you. While we're at the Intel Developer Forum we had the chance to sit down with GIGABYTE. The had a couple of their Intel X79 on display for all to see. The motherboards that GIGABYTE had on display ranged from mild to wild! What were they showing off at IDF 2011? Read on to find out!

Article Title: IDF 2011: GIGABYTE X79 Motherboard Preview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1711/1/
JPEGONE42
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: IDF 2011: GIGABYTE Intel X79 Motherboard Preview

Post by JPEGONE42 »

Cool, looking good, but:

1) PCI-E layout is STUPID!!!! If you are running 4 dual slot cards, you have no PCIe X1 slots open! It would have been better to switch the order.
2) Is there any reason for the location of the DIMM slots?
3) WHY would ANYBODY need 14 freaking SATA ports? If you were going to run a massive RAID array, you would want a dedicated RAID card anyway. and also, somebody name a case you can fit 14 drives into please!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

On the GA-X79-UD7, what are those two connectors near the SATA ports!?! (One is between the ATX power and nearest 90* SATA ports and the other is near the bottom of the board.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

JPEGONE42 wrote:Cool, looking good, but:

1) PCI-E layout is STUPID!!!! If you are running 4 dual slot cards, you have no PCIe X1 slots open! It would have been better to switch the order.
2) Is there any reason for the location of the DIMM slots?
3) WHY would ANYBODY need 14 freaking SATA ports? If you were going to run a massive RAID array, you would want a dedicated RAID card anyway. and also, somebody name a case you can fit 14 drives into please!
3) If you want raid, you will obviously use SSD drives and 2 SSD's can fit in place of a regular HDD, so yes you can. My case has a space for 6 HDD's (that's 12 SSD's) and all new optical drives also use SATA connections (add 2 optical drives and you have your 14 SATA :) )
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

gwolfman wrote:On the GA-X79-UD7, what are those two connectors near the SATA ports!?! (One is between the ATX power and nearest 90* SATA ports and the other is near the bottom of the board.
It is a SATA power plug to deliver power to the PCIe x16 slots
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

XstollieX wrote:
gwolfman wrote:On the GA-X79-UD7, what are those two connectors near the SATA ports!?! (One is between the ATX power and nearest 90* SATA ports and the other is near the bottom of the board.
Interesting. It looked like SATA but it was too wide for the data cables though; never though of it being power.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

XstollieX wrote:
Makes sense if it does away with having to have 6 pin plugs strung to your cards.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

JPEGONE42 wrote:...somebody name a case you can fit 14 drives into please!
Off the top of my head for traditional 3.5" drives... LIAN LI PC-A70F (well most if not all Lian Li super towers), Silverstone RV03B-WA, Fractal Define XL
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Tator Tot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Tator Tot »

Kaos Kid wrote:
XstollieX wrote:
Makes sense if it does away with having to have 6 pin plugs strung to your cards.
Board makers add these, molex connectors, & PCIe connectors to lessen the load on your 12v & 3.3v wires coming from the 24pin connector.

There's many cases where the 24pin connector melted on a board because of a 4 x GPU config on a board. Since there's only 2 12v sources to supply 300w of power to the PCIe x16 slots. (Since an x16 1.x slot is supposed to supply 75w of power, 4 x 75 = 300)
billybob2010
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by billybob2010 »

"The GA-X79-UD7 has fewer SATA ports than the boards that we have already looked at, only ten SATA ports this time."

I could be imaging it, but I count 14 in that picture
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

billybob2010 wrote:"The GA-X79-UD7 has fewer SATA ports than the boards that we have already looked at, only ten SATA ports this time."

I could be imaging it, but I count 14 in that picture
might be a typo... eight of the ports are coming off due to Intel yanking them for two reasons... Low yields and SAS compatibility issues.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!