Splitted-Desktop Shows Fanless Sandy Bridge Cooling At IDF

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Splitted-Desktop Shows Fanless Sandy Bridge Cooling At IDF

Post by Apoptosis »

Splitted-Desktop Shows Fanless Sandy Bridge Cooling At IDF 2011

While walking around the technology showcase at the Intel Developer Forum we ran across a booth in the future technologies lab that caught our attention as it was a CPU cooling demo that showed a passive cooling design and we are suckers for silent computing. We had to take a closer look and what we saw was different. Read on to take a look at a passive CPU cooler on an Intel Core i5-2500T processor and see how it performs!

Article Title: Splitted-Desktop Shows Fanless Sandy Bridge Cooling At IDF 2011
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1710/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
asuperpower
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Splitted-Desktop Shows Fanless Sandy Bridge Cooling At I

Post by asuperpower »

That can already been done... on an i5 2500k. :) It's a little costly though...
http://www.quietpc.com/au-en-aud/produc ... nof-cr-95c
Hello! :)
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by CoachAub »

I would expect a more refined product to be demonstrated at this event. It "does" look like they taped their heatpipes onto fins. We all know Apple's story, so this product, that looks like it was made in a garage, may be the future of computer cooling. However, I think it will have to go through modifications prior to manufacturing. How come no one mentioned the size? If it is the future of cooling, it is WAY too large. They may be on the right track, but it still needs work.
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
vejmarie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by vejmarie »

Hi, I am working for SDS, just to bring you some "clarification" on the tape, it was there to prevent understanding on how the composite material was attached to the pipe, as this is an under patent filling process. The tape will definitly not be there on the final product !
The whole chassis presented jointly with Intel at IDF is a research project, which can handle up to 150 Watts total system in fanless condition using a cheminee process. The main advantage from the chassis and the heat sink technology resides in it's capability to create an airflow on top of each critical components including systems VRM, etc ... The demo at IDF was done with a system requiring around 65 Watts under full load (which was the case at the show). About 40 Watts for the CPU, 5 Watts for the drive and RAM, some loss at the different VRM stages etc ...
Feel free to ask questions, not sure I could answer all of them but will try my best to get you some answers
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Looks a lot like the Scythe behemoth.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about34074.html#p192999
vejmarie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by vejmarie »

it looks likes, but it's total weight is less than 240 grams ...