Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Built like a truck and can hold 10 HDD's, Fractal Design's latest case is trying to break new ground in both price and features for a what they are calling a "mid-tower". Legit Reviews takes a closer look at the Define XL in Black Pearl to see how it stacks up to the rest of the cases at the super competitive ~$150 price point.

We love seeing new companies come in an disrupt a market with fresh ideas and innovative solutions. Fractal Design's attempt at a large mid tower case does focus on some of this but in a quirky confusing way. I don't think we have reviewed a case that made us say "hmmm, that's interesting" more times than with the Define XL. The thought put into the sound deadening design is fantastic and will force you to check the power button light to make sure it is running.
Article Tile: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1782/1/
Pricing at Time of Print: $149.99 plus $19.99 shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Hzwstp3n3
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl Case Review

Post by Hzwstp3n3 »

Apoptosis, sorry for the offtopic, but could you please check your personal message folder? ty
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

e-mailing me is the best option
Follow Me on Twitter!
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

Very nice case. They now have an upgraded USB 3.0 version available.
ehume
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ehume »

Nice review.

It's clear that it will be a hard case to use because the gap behind the motherboard tray is too small. So in that regard your advice is right on.

My own pet peeve is that this case is like all those Antecs: a single position for a top fan; it is only where it can be an exhaust. I prefer cases where you can set up a top intake where cool air is presented to the front of the cpu heatsink. Cases like this make such an arrangement impossible.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

slugbug wrote:Very nice case. They now have an upgraded USB 3.0 version available.
Right, which was mentioned several times in the review and we even showed pictures of that!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

Actually right after the review was posted they quit offering the USB 2.0 version they sent us and only offer it in the USB 3.0 version. The upgrade kit I listed is still available for anyone that purchased the USB 2.0 version.
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

ehume wrote:Nice review.

It's clear that it will be a hard case to use because the gap behind the motherboard tray is too small. So in that regard your advice is right on.

My own pet peeve is that this case is like all those Antecs: a single position for a top fan; it is only where it can be an exhaust. I prefer cases where you can set up a top intake where cool air is presented to the front of the cpu heatsink. Cases like this make such an arrangement impossible.
This case actually has the optional front 120mm intake position that would be better to bring in cool air from the front for the front of the air cooler. As I said in the review, the case is great for silence but it is not easy to work in.

Thank you for the kind words.

Bill