DX79SI Extreme Series Sandy Bridge-E motherboard details

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

DX79SI Extreme Series Sandy Bridge-E motherboard details

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel has published details about its DX79SI Extreme Series Sandy Bridge-E motherboard on its website a bit earlier than anyone expected.

According to the product brief, the board will be supporting both AMD Crossfire and Nvidia SLI configurations via three PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots, include eight DIMM slots, two Firewire and 14 USB 2.0 ports, as well as two SATA 6.0 Gb/s and four SATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors. There is no native USB 3.0 support, however, as Intel takes that route via a separate NEC controller to support this feature in two available ports. Also, there are two PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots and still one remaining PCI interface.

Intel will be marketing this board toward "champion gamers" and enthusiasts "who live to push their systems way beyond the limits." The DX79SI will come Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, an Express Installer as well as ESET Smart Security 5 Antivirus.

Source
page1.jpg
page2.jpg
page3.jpg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: DX79SI Extreme Series Sandy Bridge-E motherboard details

Post by vbironchef »

Can you talk about Ivy Bridge. What happened to light peak? Where is Intel support for USB 3.0? What socket is going to have these features?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Ivy Bridge is going to be on Z68, so it's an LGA1155 CPU. I'm really excited about this part as it was built from the ground up to be power efficient and it should do really well in the mobile market. When Ivy Bridge comes out it will be the chip to have in thin Ultrabooks. For desktop where battery life isn't a concern you'll still see nice performance gains and I'm hearing from my sources they range from 3-7% in most benchmarks versus Sandy Bridge clock for clock. I've personally played with this CPU a bit and so far it looks good, but I'm saying that after looking at early silicon.

Intel support for USB 3.0 isn't coming this generation as you can see. We'll have to wait till the next generation chipsets for that.

Light Peak has been rebranded as Thunderbolt and you'll be seeing it more in the future.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I thought Thunderbolt was the name that Apple uses now. I am still confused about the socket size of this board. What socket for desktops is going to be 22nm.? When will it come out, if you can say.

Edit: Call me crazy! It sounds like my next computer will be a Apple. Why is the rest of the PC world lagging?

Edit: Looks like Maximum PC is telling everyone to head over to LR for updates on this product. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/i ... otherboard
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Intel'sThunderbolt to Strike PCs in April.

Intel'sThunderbolt to Strike PCs in April, Says Report
Posted 12/27/2011 at 4:58am | by Pulkit Chandna

With Ivy Bridge chipsets receiving USB 3.0 certification recently, Intel is now all set to support the technology natively with its next-generation processor platform. But it isn’t the only data transfer technology that Intel plans to support. According to a new report, Intel’s Thunderbolt technology will strike the PC market in April 2012.

The chipmaker is said to have notified its partners across the PC industry about its intention to fully roll out the Thunderbolt I/O technology next year; it’s currently restricted to a few Apple products. As per Digitimes’ sources, a number of A-list PC vendors are already on board and getting ready to launch Thunderbolt-compatible motherboards, laptops and desktops.

Further, the sources expect the cost of adopting Thunderbolt to come down considerably in 2012, paving the way for its standardization. At the moment, a Thunderbolt chip costs in excess of $20. Despite Digitimes’ reputation of being a rumormonger, this report does not seem farfetched, as Intel is already on record as saying that it sees both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt as being "complementary" and wants developers to support both.