ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Is it a coincidence that it is around Halloween and ASUS would send us a wolf in sheep's clothing? The GTX 570 DirectCU II is a triple slot cooling monster with a sheepish factory overclock and sexy sweet looks. Sure it is massive and looks good but how does it perform? Legit Reviews throws it onto our test bench to find out if giving up three slots allows us to overclock this sheep into a wolf.

ASUS comes to play and brings its monster cooling costume to the party. They really have a winning solution in the DirectCU II design and it shows in the tests and especially the overclocking ability of the ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II. We loved the feel of this card both in the mass and the solid aluminum fan shroud, no plastic here.
Article Title: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II Video Card Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1763/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $329.99 after rebate at Newegg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Passan
Legit User
Legit User

Re: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II Video Card Review

Post by Passan »

I know there are still loads of issues with it on PC, but did you get a chance to play Battlefield 3 with it at all?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

You mean NVIDIA cards in general or this specific card? Both AMD and NVIDIA are having some driver issues with the latest titles, but it has nothing to do with the card itself.
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

You say it is dead quiet. I find that hard to believe. Have you tried F@H with it and what kind of ppd does it give? What I don't get is why the 560's in general do not exit hot air out of the case. That seems a big draw back to me anyway.
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

Without our overclock the dual fans run at a maximum of 28% for 1410 RPM. On a open test bench with all other fans stopped these fans made a very slight whirrrr with my head 1 meter away. Maybe it is my age but it was extremely hard to hear this card at 100% load over the furnace fan in my house. If this card was n a case, I can assure you that your case fans and PSU fan would be louder.

I did not run folding at home to get a PPD but with the factory overclock it should be basically the same of any other standard GTX 570.
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

Passan wrote:I know there are still loads of issues with it on PC, but did you get a chance to play Battlefield 3 with it at all?
I don't currently have BF3 as I am waiting (hoping) it comes to STEAM before I grab a copy. So can't say but as Nate said, the issues are not card specific as it is based on the drivers from Nvidia.
KATN_Vengeance
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by KATN_Vengeance »

Hello all, i just read this review for the Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II from you guys specifically because I am getting it, and I am an overclocking novice. But I've seen a lot of things that are leaving me at a dilemma.Overclock past 900 MHZ or not. I was impressed to see that the fans were cooling the GPU at 100% Speed @ 1006 MHZ gpu core clock. my question is, what voltage did you use to even support that amount of power draw? is it safe to game on and could i use your set up for a safe and enjoyable gameplay along with a decent life span on the card?? :o
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

How long do you plan on keeping the card in all honesty?
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

KATN_Vengeance wrote:Hello all, i just read this review for the Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II from you guys specifically because I am getting it, and I am an overclocking novice. But I've seen a lot of things that are leaving me at a dilemma.Overclock past 900 MHZ or not. I was impressed to see that the fans were cooling the GPU at 100% Speed @ 1006 MHZ gpu core clock. my question is, what voltage did you use to even support that amount of power draw? is it safe to game on and could i use your set up for a safe and enjoyable gameplay along with a decent life span on the card?? :o
I maxed out the cards BIOS limited vCore at 1.25v just to see what the maximum OC was I could achieve but it required the fans at 100% which is very noisy. You can run the card at ~ 940 - 960 at 1.0 - 1.1v and lower the fans considerably without giving up too much performance. I can also tell you that even at the factory clocks the GTX 570 is powerful enough to pretty much run any current game with most of the eye candy turned on so don't kill yourself trying to max OC that bad boy.

-Bill