Where do I update my bios?

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Where do I update my bios?

Post by stickytape »

I have an MSI X58 motherboard and I want to update the bios. Where should I get the software and what's the safest way of installing it?
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Where do I update my bios?

Post by pwcmed »

If your asking this I would recommend you don't do unless you are having issues. If you are having issues best bet is to check the manufacturer website.
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stickytape »

I'm not having problems, but I probably should have mentioned that I want to update my PC in terms of gaming. My computer presently spots dual Vapor-X 5770s, and I would like to replace them with newer models. However, even without an update in hardware, it's apparently still a good idea to update the bios on the motherboard in order to ensure better compatibility and performance.

By all means, please correct me if this information wrong, because I would rather not have to screw about with the bios.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

http://us.msi.com/service/download/ Isn't a x58 board for intel cpu's? If you don't know what your doing, then don't mess with it.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

vbironchef wrote:If you don't know what your doing, then don't mess with it.
While i agree with that statement, I'm sure most of us have learned how to do what we do by doing things we didn't know how to. I know I have. I know I'm quite exceptional :lol: :lol: but you get the drift.

I also agree with the above statement that if there isn't an issue there isn't really a need to flash the BIOS. You do stand the risk of bricking your board, it's a small risk but it does happen. If you still want to flash them I'm sure we can help you do that.
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stickytape »

Hmmm... bricking... Yes, I see - yes, I'm receiving an accurate picture.

I probably should be experimenting in this area for my own benefit, but until I can afford a new motherboard, I should probably hold off. If the games run fine then I shouldn't have reason to complain. But flashing the BIOS is obviously a knowledge worth having. When my wallet is heavier, rest assured XstollieX, I will be back to take up your offer. Thanks guys.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Give us the exact model. From there we can tell you if it's worth looking into flashing it or not. We can also look at the BIOS revisions and see what has been fixed.

Download HWiNFO32 and run it.
http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw32_391.exe

Paste of a screenshot of the System Summary (see my screenshot). To do this press Alt+Print Screen Button. Open up Paint and press Ctrl+V to paste it in. Save it as a PNG file and upload it here.
HWiNFO32 Example.png
HWiNFO32 Example.png (71.38 KiB) Viewed 20130 times
Here is the changelog for my motherboard's BIOS files:
Version Size Date Download Here Description
F9 0.53 MB 2009/06/19 Support Xpress BIOS Rescue function

F8 0.45 MB 2008/07/10 Update CPU microcode (Support Intel Wolfdale/Yorkfield E0-stepping CPU)

F7 0.52 MB 2007/11/29 Fix: Some of 1000 GB (1TB) HDDs will be detected size error.

F6 0.52 MB 2007/11/05 Fix PS2 keyboard compatibility issue | Support Intel 45nm Yorkfield CPU

F5 0.51 MB 2007/09/07 Fix PS2 keyboard compatibility issues

F3 0.50 MB 2007/07/18 Better compatibility for over clock

F2 0.50 MB 2007/06/20 Add support for new SPI flash vendor

F1 0.50 MB 2007/06/11 First Release