Intel 520 'Cherryville' Series 240GB SSD Review in RAID 0

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel's 'Cherryville' 520 Series SSDs are here, packing heat with SandForce SF-2281 controllers and custom firmware. We received a pair of 240GB drives to throw on our test bench and report our findings. With nearly a year to develop the firmware, will the 520 Series become the new gold standard for SSDs or just another drive in the SandForce pile? Read on to see.

On the performance side, we saw the drive meet and exceed the read/write specifications of 550MB/s and 520MB/s on compressible sequential reads/writes respectively. On incompressible data, Intel told us we should see 550MB/s reads and 235MB/s writes and the best we saw were 491MB/s reads and 300MB/s writes. Each set of scores are on par with what we see with other SF-2281 drives with synchronous NAND. So to the question, did Intel put out the fastest SF-2281 drive? It's among the fastest but ...

Article Title: Intel 520 'Cherryville' Series 240GB SSD Review in RAID 0
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1815/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $509 SRP for the 240GB Drive Reviewed
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KristianAT
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Intel 520 'Cherryville' Series 240GB SSD Review in RAID

Post by KristianAT »

A quote of the article:
To that extent, Intel has informed us that they are now the first and only SandForce drive manufacturer to have their drives ship with OEM computers which is a pretty big deal and an easy way to get a lot of drives out to consumers. So it makes sense that if OEM manufacturers are going to use these in their machines, they had better be rock solid reliable and not require iterations of firmware updates for fixes.
ASUS Zenbook is actually using SandForce based ADATA SSDs in some of the configurations.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4984/asus ... 1-teardown

Otherwise, a great review as usual :)

-Kristian
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Good point... Maybe it's the first to have OEM design wins in the 2.5" form factor then. I've e-mailed and hope to get some clarification soon.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Be interesting to see what they say...in the meantime, I added 2.5" to the sentence to qualify it a little.
Joe