Intel CPU Scaling on an AMD Radeon HD 7950 Video Card

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

When we look at the graphics cards that we review, we use the latest Intel X79 motherboard and the Intel Core i7 3960X processor. One of the primary reasons that we do this is to remove as much of the CPU bottleneck that we can. Though not everyone has the funds available to buy a processor that retails $1049.99. Today, we take a look at the performance scaling between six different Intel LGA1155 processors when using a high end graphics card like the AMD Radeon HD 7950.

Instead of firing up the Intel X79 system for testing, we are going to set up one of our Intel Z68 platforms and take a look at the performance scaling between six different Intel LGA1155 processors when using a high end graphics card like the AMD Radeon HD 7950. What we are going to try to answer is can you game effectively on a budget processor like the Intel LGA1155 Pentium G620, or do you need to step up into the Intel Core series of processors? If we do step into the Intel Core series can you get away with a processor like the Intel Core i3 series or is gaming limited to the Core i5 series and Core i7 series?
Article Title: Intel CPU Scaling on an AMD Radeon HD 7950 Video Card
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1877/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
El_Capitan
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Intel CPU Scaling on an AMD Radeon HD 7950 Video Card

Post by El_Capitan »

Nice. I have noticed that on slower CPU's or CPU's with less cores (not SB specific), the Minimum FPS usually takes a big dip. That would be great to see for the next time. :)

A great article, and in the actual game benchmarks, it hardly matters which CPU that's used Those framerates are pretty darn high. Incredible what Intel's been able to do with the new Pentium line.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I have all the data still, I will take a look at the minimums/maximums once I get down to my office tonight. I was honestly surprised how well the pentium chips and i3 chips did. I didn't expect that at all to be honest.
azuza001
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by azuza001 »

This was a great article, perfect timing too as I just purchased a G850 to use with a GTX 560 for a budget gaming box and it looks like they will play very well together!

The only other thing I'd be interested in seeing (not that its in the scope of this article) would be to compare how the big video cards of the last few years (GTX 295, GTX495, Radeon 4870X2, those guys) compare to newer cards on these processors. Still this was a great article.