Battlefield 2

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Battlefield 2

Post by LVCapo »

I continue to have the issue where the game crashes to the desktop after I select single player or multiplayer. I have tried everything I can think of, and everything listed on numerous forums where this problem seems to be wide spread. After installation the game will actually run until I reboot.
I have reinstalled the game several times, installed the 1.3 patch, and deleted the BF2 folder in ""My Documents"................what next.
I have to say that this game and EA in general suck ass, and after all the problems I had with C&C, I will never recommend their products again. For a company to charge $49 for a game, have crap customer support, then have the game have so many issues, I am seriously disappointed
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've only played the demo and it was flawless on my system in terms of stability and general game play. Not sure on the full version, but hopefully someone might be able to help ya.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

oh man, it is so frustrating......... and a lot of people are having the problem
Bigedmond
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bigedmond »

Well, if i can think of anything i will let you know. Im gonna call my friend blev who is an EA lead tester, and see if he knows about the problem aswell.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I don't get this upset very often, but this is ridiculous. Latest drivers all around, Recent and clean install of WinXP Pro....I've tried everything!
Do a Google search of "Battlefield 2 crashes to desktop" and the net is full of people having this issue.....totally ridiculous......and the EA tech support site is worthless.
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

I had the same problem with FEAR. Turns out my video card was overheating. I had to underclock it to get it to run. What is weird is that BF2 will work until you reboot. I can't really think of anything that would change during a reboot to cause that.

Are you installing the game on the same drive as the OS? Have you tried it both ways like with OS and on a different drive than OS?

Also, do you mind me asking what your comp specs are? Windows 64 maybe? If heard a few problems with that OS.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Actually wait a second. Kyle Bennet over har HardOCP wrote an article on a system with the same issues and it was the BFG Tech 7800 video card...
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODc2
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Yeah, we really need to expand the sigs on the forum.
I doubt its my system:
AMD 4800+ X2
2GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000
DFI NF4 SLI-DR
(2) XFX 7800GT
500GB Hitachi STA HDD
250GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Prometeia Mach II GT
Dell 2405FPW
Windows XP Pro

I gave up, just uninstalled it, the game is awfully nice, when it runs, but is far too buggy for me. I personally think EA should be ashamed of putting this out without fixing the issues. I wanted to play the game a bit, but my main goal was to add it to our benchmarking suite.
Last edited by LVCapo on Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigedmond
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bigedmond »

Yea, EA is really bad when it comes to bug removal. I've worked for them, so i know first hand.

if you want a good benchmarking game, Americas Army is extremely demanding. I dont know how you would use it for benchmarking, but i can tell you that alot of people with decent systems get a$$ raped by the system requirements with that game.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

EA's console games (Madden) are first rate, but having been a huge C& C fan from way back, this is the same sort of issue that got me away from that game......and good luck trying to get help from EA. Ive scrouged the net looking for answers, and I'd be willing to bet there are more people who have had this issue and simply given up on the game than there are actually playing the game.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I dont know what to tell ya...maybe try rolling back a vid. driver or something. the game is great. EA blows big ones...but that game is tons of fun.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Rich, did you try taking out your 7800's and slapping a 6800 or 6600 in there to see if your stability issues go away with BF2?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I've been putting off yanking things apart. I have a 6600GT, but if the video card itself is the issue, I'm going to forego a $50 game and just settle on something else.
I'm flabbergasted that this many people can be having this problem, for so long, and EA hasn't yet fixed it, let alone actually addressed it
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Rich try using nVidia 81.87 Beta drivers they "Improved performance and compatibility for Call of Duty 2"
Bigedmond
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bigedmond »

capper5016 wrote:I've been putting off yanking things apart. I have a 6600GT, but if the video card itself is the issue, I'm going to forego a $50 game and just settle on something else.
I'm flabbergasted that this many people can be having this problem, for so long, and EA hasn't yet fixed it, let alone actually addressed it
After the first patch, the studio started working hard on the expansion. meaning patches wont happen. The patches that do happen are done to prepare the game for the expansion.
killdashnine
Legit User
Legit User

Post by killdashnine »

I had the same problem, which totally dumbfounded me for days. I purchased a new monitor and things didn't work. I reinstalled the game, etc. to no avail.

What I finally discovered is that it broke down to video problems. There's a folder that's created for BF2 that holds your video and other settings. Uninstalling does not delete this folder and reinstallation just picks it up again.

Basically, all you should have to do is blow away this folder and restart the game, then it should allow you to create new settings and things should work fine. I've had absolutely no problems since that initial issue, so I hope this works for you.

I'm at work right now and don't have access to notes, otherwise I'd tell you the specific directory. You can e-mail me at killdashnine AT warfactory DOT net if you can't find the folder on your own.
killdashnine
Warfactory Team Lead
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Don't know how I missed this thread, but... have you tried setting the resolution manually through the Video.con file in the MyDocuments/BF2/profiles folder(s)?

Or setting it through the startmenu shortcut via +szx 800 +szy 600?

I couldn't get the demo to run for the longest time until I found out about these two tricks, though I only needed the first one to get the game running. Apparently I forgot that I locked my monitors to never go below 85hz with a modded monitor driver, and the defaults for the Video.con file was set at 1024x768@60hz.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Battlefield 2

Post by kenc51 »

capper5016 wrote:I continue to have the issue where the game crashes to the desktop after I select single player or multiplayer. I have tried everything I can think of, and everything listed on numerous forums where this problem seems to be wide spread. After installation the game will actually run until I reboot.
I have reinstalled the game several times, installed the 1.3 patch, and deleted the BF2 folder in ""My Documents"................what next.
I have to say that this game and EA in general suck ass, and after all the problems I had with C&C, I will never recommend their products again. For a company to charge $49 for a game, have crap customer support, then have the game have so many issues, I am seriously disappointed
Capper are you using the onboard sound?? My Audigy card died a few wks ago, I play BF2 with on-board sound...My rig is the same except for SLI and 2GB ram (GT vs GTX but same really)...anyhow....I have to play with sound optios turned way down, otherwise the game will stutter alot...then eventualy just crap-out and I'm back into the desktop...no errors or anything...

(I suspect you have given-up by now......?)
Thor
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Thor »

If you havn't tried it yet, try forcing BF2 affinity to a single core in taskmanager.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I've been busy with other things. I've tried everything imaginable.....without success. Its hard for me to recommend a company or a product that has so many issues and such horrible customer service/tech support.